Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2nd Monitor not working after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tmgaither

tmgaither

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

I have had a continual problem with Windows 7 (currently running) updates and my second monitor. Previously, after an update, the second monitor wouldn't work and I would roll back the update and then it worked fine. However, after this last update (end of December) I cannot get the 2nd monitor to be detected. 

Information on my system:
Win 7 (updated to Win 10 but 2nd monitor didn't work so reverted to 7)
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4200 Driver version: 8.850.0.0
Second monitor connected by HDMI

Things I have tried:
Updating display driver
Deleting and reinstalling display driver
Rebooting
Unplugging/plugging back in

Random information that may help: Monitor is on, when I turn on the computer the light turns from red to blue, then goes back to red. My mouse will go over to the second monitor as if it is there (when extending option is chosen), however, screen is black and you can't see anything on that screen at all. The second monitor works, as I tried swapping the monitors but same thing..whichever one is set as second is black. One time, after an update, the monitor wasn't working but I left it plugged in as normal and the screen came on and worked fine. After the next update, it went back to black.

I tried to figure out, on my own, which particular update was causing it to not show and I wasn't able to figure it out. I also disabled the automatic updates....so I thought...but it updated anyway. 

At a loss and am dependent on the second monitor for work.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

What happens when you go into >properties>display settings. Then click identify and detect? Does it show 1,2 monitors?

#3 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

I would also check to make sure the display is in HDMI mode and not VGA or DVI for the secondary.

#4 fatmander

fatmander

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:03 PM

this is a bloody weird one

I'm guessing with multiple driver installs you don't have option to roll back driver in device manager/display device properties

I'd had situations where driver updates made DVI cables not function, like it's learned it can get more from the monitor, switches to a different DVI transmission format, and cable no longer works- so try the cables.(like it happened once, AMD card on a different cable, but you never know)

Moving the mouse off screen makes your screen definitely sounds like -as far as windows is concerned, it's detected,

Like the good folk said above, right click on the desktop/personalise/display/adjust resolution

It's good to know if windows thinks the screen is there, I was thinking dead monitor until you checked that.

Hardware analysis tools like Aida64.com would also tell you if a second monitor is being connected

Have you tried System restore to that date?

Or, If you go into windows update, down in bottom left if says "installed updates", click it, you can look at the dates of updates, examine each of them in turn, possibly there is something related to hardware in one of the updates...right click & uninstall update, reboot

I know it's an outside shot, but if monitors being detected, my monies on the bad cable(cuz I can't think of anything else) 

I'm guessing the 4200 doesn't require any auxiliary power connectors, so if all else fails, it is possible to go buy a similar latest series low end card for about €50/60 if budget permits.

Any PCI-e card(presuming you havent got some weird integrated 4200 thing going on) will fit into the PCI-e slot your current card goes into...millions of video on youtube to assist there

Do not spend big monies on video card without upgrading power supply, and good luck troubleshooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users