Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeing disk space on Windows Server 2008 R2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hello,

We are having an issue with disk space being used up on our Windows Server 2008 R2 machine (with SP 1). I've traced the bulk of the space being used to C:\System\WinSxS. My research tells me this is an a system folder that can build up over time. It builds up with every Windows Update. I'm told NOT to just delete things from this folder as it is an important system folder that affects proper Windows functionality.

However, my research also tells that I can clean SOME of the contents of this folder by running Disk Cleanup. In Disk Cleanup, I check "Windows Update Cleanup", and click OK (see attachment). However, that does nothing. WinSxS is taking up just as much space after this as before.

Attached File  Disk Cleanup.png   13.71KB   1 downloads

On the other hand, I think this problem goes deeper than just WinSxS taking up space. Every time I'm able to free up some space, it gets used up again. For example, I had a database backup that was taking up 130MB. I deleted that and then installed Desktop Experience (which I'm told is needed to get Disk Cleanup on Windows Server 2008 R2). After that, only 16MB were available on the C: drive. It's possible that Desktop Experience actually uses 114MB but that seems like a lot. Furthermore, only a few seconds after I saw the 16MB on the C: drive, I check again and say 0 bytes available.

Then I was able to get the "Windows Update Cleanup" available in Disk Cleanup which said it could free up 2.5GB. So I checked it and ran Disk Cleanup. When I checked the C: drive, it said there was only 2.3MB of space left. Then I checked again after a few seconds and 0 bytes were left.

Now whenever I run Disk Cleanup, it seems to have no effect on any folders, even with everything checked. (I'm running it from a command prompt with Administrative priveleges: cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535).

There seems to be something taking up free space whenever it can. I'm not sure if it's WinSxS or not.

I would very much appreciate if someone could help me troubleshoot this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

Then I was able to get the "Windows Update Cleanup" available in Disk Cleanup which said it could free up 2.5GB. So I checked it and ran Disk Cleanup. When I checked the C: drive, it said there was only 2.3MB of space left. Then I checked again after a few seconds and 0 bytes were left.

Now whenever I run Disk Cleanup, it seems to have no effect on any folders, even with everything checked. (I'm running it from a command prompt with Administrative priveleges: cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535).

Curiously, did you restart after Disk Cleanup? Windows needs to restart to delete Windows Update Components. Then, you should be able to see some changes to your free space.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Curiously, did you restart after Disk Cleanup? Windows needs to restart to delete Windows Update Components. Then, you should be able to see some changes to your free space.

Well, it freed up 22.2MB but that's pitiful.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

Maybe you don't even need Desktop Experience, then you could uninstall it and free some space:

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 TechUser01

TechUser01

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hello Gib65,

Is this still an issue?Just a quick clarification, how did you trace it back to the WinSXS folder? Did you use any 3rd Party program?

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Degfrag, you would be amazed at dirty clusters holding up free space from $MFT!

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 22 May 2017 - 04:53 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users