Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC Slows Other PCs With Same Wi-Fi?...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

I love multi-tasking(having multiple browser windows open) when browsing the web.

But when I browse the web, my mom who use another laptop in the house with the same wireless connection keeps complaining that my multiple-opened browser windows slows her pc down.

I'll point out that she has only about 1gb of memory, intel celeron cpu, and windows 7 home-basic. She's also the only one in the house who has the issue, apparently.

Pretty weak pc if you tell me.

I keep advising her to upgrade, but keeps resisting by saying that she uses it only for browsing and streaming videos herself and no need for an upgrade.

And so was wondering, is there any truth to all this? And if so, what causes it and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

Easy way to tell. Close all your browsers and see if her problem still exists. If it does, then its her PC just being slow. If it doesn't, then there is some truth to what shes saying.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 rh.hamilton27

rh.hamilton27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:00 AM

That was a fast reply!

I'll take her word for it. But I used her pc to do stuff like renew her anti-virus, for example, and it seems pretty slow regardless if anyone is connected. Not to say it isn't slower if I am using the wifi.

But are there any known complaints about many windows being opened? Because I searched online and couldn't find anyone having this issue.

I just think it's odd.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

I wouldn't doubt her PC is being slow. That is some pretty low specs. Its right at the minimum required for W7.

It really depends on what you are doing on those browser tabs, and how much bandwidth you are eating (the type of router you have could come into affect as well). if you are downloading something and playing music, then yeah that could slow down other PCs trying to get out to the internet. If you are just browsing around and don't have anything streaming/downloading then I'd say its just her PC (probably a low end wifi card) being not all that good.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

Just a few things that each person in the home can do to conserve bandwidth...

Something that would save bandwidth for everyone in the house would be to change the routers DNS server to Alternate DNS.

Also Ublock Origin with Fanboys Ultimate list for each machine in the house.

Set your mothers machine to have a static Ip.

Disable the computer browser service on all computers,

As far as updates, do those at night.

If any of the machines have  a large hosts file -- Disable the DNS Client Service.

Keep non essential internet consuming apps from auto starting with windows.

For the windows 10 users in the house....  DWS

Better to purchase a non ISP issued router as well.

I had issues with one, they seem to throttle when more than one person is online.

Went through that issue.... Figured it out after we went through three of their routers.

Went and bought the cheapest one from walmart and it gave better performance with multiple people online.

Edit: If you live in a highly populated area, change your router channel, say if majority of people are on 11 change yours to 3.

For the phones that are connected to the router....

What I personally use for my phone.

FireFox for android.

Self Destructing Cookies.

Ublock Origin.

Anti Ad Block Killer

Dns Changer Android.

Alternate DNS.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 04 January 2017 - 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users