Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 IvorMills

IvorMills

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:52 AM

I am about to replace my existing graphics card, should I allow Windows to search for a suitable driver, or should I download the drivers from the manufactures site prior to the installation and point to the location when asked?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:59 AM

You should download drivers from either the graphics card or the video chipset manufacturer's website - these will normally have a setup program to run - so no "pointing to a location" required.

Then:-

1) uninstall your existing graphics drivers (make sure they are completely removed)

2) Turn off PC, remove old graphics card & fit the new one

3)  Restart PC, run new driver setup program

#3 IvorMills

IvorMills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

Thank you for your fast reply, just a novice question, when you remove all your drivers, presumably you still have control via basic Windows drivers?

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

It will revert to either a Windows provided driver or a "Microsoft basic display driver" (I can't remember the exact wording it uses) - so you will still get a display although the available resolutions may not be optimal & sleep/hibernation etc will probably not work. Installation of the new drivers should then correct these problems.

#5 IvorMills

IvorMills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Edited by IvorMills, 04 January 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#6 IvorMills

IvorMills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

1) uninstall your existing graphics drivers (make sure they are completely removed)

I would use the device manager/display adaptors/driver/uninstall utility, is this sufficient?

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

"I would use the device manager/display adaptors/driver/uninstall utility, is this sufficient?"

If the existing driver package appears in the start menu with an "Uninstall" shortcut or has an entry in the "Programs and Features" uninstall section then I would start there, then restart. If the driver still showed up on Device Manager I would uninstall & delete from there.

I would also check the chip manufacturer's driver website as they may offer a utility to fully remove all their driver software (ATI/AMD used to do this but now the Programs and Features uninstall is supposed to be sufficient. 

#8 IvorMills

IvorMills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:19 AM

Thank you for your help.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Often enough the official uninstallers do not do a good job. I have seen numerous threads of poorly running games that are fixed by a proper uninstall/reinstall. With that said, it is totally possible the normal official uninstaller will do fine. But if you have problems after the reinstall, the first step is to use this utility:

Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller - this is a GPU driver cleaner, it will definitely remove your GPU drivers. Note: There are some deceptive ads on the forum page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users