Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to understand a BSOD problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 petite_penelope

petite_penelope

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone,
can someone please shed a bit of light on some BSOD incidents I've been getting on an old system running XP sp3?

The BSOD shows:

Stop: 0x00000050   (0x93765808, 0x00000000, 0x8056C5AA, 0x00000000)

It's happening quite often, several times a day. Do those numbers indicate anything that someone with experience here can decipher?

Thanks very much!

Mod Edit

Moved from Windows XP

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 04 January 2017 - 02:33 AM.
Mod edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:08 AM

Stop: 0x00000050 means memeory error.

How to fix ?

Clean ram then run memtest to see what going on and or slow ram down in bios, worse case only use one ram stick at a time and find the bad ram, change as needed.

#3 petite_penelope

petite_penelope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:19 AM

Good lord! All of these countless BSOD are simply because of a failing/bad or poorly inserted RAM????

Who knew?

When you say "clean ram", you mean, physically? Like, remove it and clean all those many contacts?

Well, thanks a million! I will find this memtest you mentioned, and run it.

#4 petite_penelope

petite_penelope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:28 AM

However, do all the other numbers in the BSOD data I listed not mean something as well?

Additionally, this RAM was installed in the motherboard many months ago, and all seemed well. It's only recently that the BSOD has been appearing with great regularity.

Thanks again!

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

Forgot to say if your new to this kind of thing you should remove the power cord from the wall on the computer and wait 10 sec, its the only way to be 100% shore and next touch a part of the metal case once before diving in, this will remove and static from your body.

When you say "clean ram", you mean, physically? Like, remove it and clean all those many contacts?

Ya physically , pros like to use electronic contact cleaner, but if you want to go ghetto some rubbing alcohol or zippo gas works well too, just use a clean rag or something and make shore theirs no lint on anything when done, i tend to like to pop the ram out and back in a feu times as well with Naphtha fuel everywhere in the memory dimm when i clean ram to make shore the grease works it way out with the cleaning liquid, btw don't tell anyone but i use zippo gas a lot "Naphtha fuel" , its not on the recommended list for what you should use to do this, remember to let things dry some depending what you use before powering up, if you use the fuel i like and use a lot of it then power up if theirs a spark you could turn your pc in to a BBQ.

And i didn't look up all the other numbers, min i checked the first one on the net and they were talking about "problem with nonpaged area" meaning memory i was like whatever ok ram problems.

Btw this could all so mean the page file on the hdd too, windows uses fake ram/hdd space at the same time as main system memory but ill put my money down on it being the main system memory, if its the page file / swap file as it use to be called you can purge that topic gone to reset windows on the topic but if were talking about a hdd going bad in this case that's a different test to find out.

If you want to reset the system on that topic you need to delete the file called "pagefile.sys" in winXP, that should reset the system on that topic, windows will just remake the file at next boot up, doing this might weird out windows some but it won't bomb the Os.

On that topic as well you might want to clean your hdd connection physically if its acting funny.

As well if it still doesn't work out with your ram dimms then drop it down to one ram stick, each time your setting up for a test move the ram stick to the single ram stick to the next slot, if everything failed with that one ram stick then use a different one and respect the process.

Last but not lest check your bios memory settings and or slow em down some, just to see what happens.

As for the hdd you can use something like this,sadly their all windows based, should be freedos or something.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/21498/check-repair-hard-disk-bad-sector/

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

This has the memory tester apps on it as well is being live boot + live boot miniXP on it too, useful for working on problem computers.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

Id check heat levels on the cpu/gpu as well under full load if your at it as well as voltages just for fun

Ps troubleshooting if a process of elimination starting with the simplest things first, so do the above in any order starting with whats simple to check.

As well how mouch ram did you say you have in that system ? and are we talking winxp 32bit or 64bit ?

Edited by shadow_647, 04 January 2017 - 07:12 AM.

#6 petite_penelope

petite_penelope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Bless you! That's a lot to digest, but it is great and useful information. Hopefully, others will see this post in the future and it will end up solving more problems than just mine.

Also, this is an older 32bit system. And the RAM which was causing these problems was four sticks of OCZ PC 3200, EL Dual CH Platinum Edition. 2 sticks of 1024mb 2-3-2, and 2 sticks of 512mb 2-2-2-5 (whatever those numbers mean).

-------

Ok, for the sake of experimentation, I swapped out all the RAM for some older RAM which was previously in the computer. The only reason I'd upgraded, was to get an extra Gig's worth, 2gb vs 3. So today, I put the old 2gigs worth back in (four sticks), and whalla....problems gone!

You were absolutely right!

All the other methods for locating problems are great to know, I'll be storing them away for future problems. But, as with anyone who still has a computer running XP, it's about time to deal with the funeral home. Time to prepare the eulogy, choose flowers, and pick out a good final resting place.

Incidentally, and in order to help you verify some of the theories you had, all of this began after my yearly computer "blow out", in which I take the computer outside, start up an air compressor, and blow out all of the dust which has accumulated. Never been a problem before, yet this time problems started as soon as I re-started after the cleaning. My theory, is that the water inherent in the stream of air from a consumer air compressor damaged something. What it damaged, I had no idea at the time, but it was clear when it happened because nothing was the same again.

I should add, this was my old computer I am talking about. It’s the one which this bad RAM came from. And with it, all the same problems were transferred to this backup computer.

Anyway, that first computer ended up dying. Or at least, something bad happened to the C drive, and it is unreadable now. Sounds a lot like what you just described about the “page file”.  The drive still spins up, but cannot be read. So I assumed it was not a physical/mechanical problem. Also, I attempted to “see” the data on that dead drive by connecting it externally to another computer and using recovery software. And as far as I could tell, it was all there. It just couldn’t be accessed through normal means (most all of this is very new to me, but it's been a crash course). However, the data recovery program was just a trial version, I wasn’t going to spend a hundred dollars for something which might not even be related to the issue. But, as mentioned, it was able to see all the data on that dead C drive, and it was all there, looking just as it did when it was healthy. So I can only assume that after buying the full version of the recovery software (R-Studio), I can get it all off.

So in short, one might theorize that blowing out the computer somehow managed to damage (but not destroy) one or more of the RAM sticks, which appeared to still be working, but they began causing problems. Then later, they managed to corrupt the C drive somehow. Sound plausible?

Again, by listing all of this tedious data, perhaps it might benefit someone in the future who does a Google search and finds this thread.

Lastly, to anyone blowing out their computer as I used to do, with a small air compressor made for air tools and light paintwork, don’t do it! I later found out that all compressors of this type have a problem with moisture. After all, you are condensing many cubic yards worth of atmosphere into a tiny chamber, along with all the moisture which was in those many cubic yards, which then ends up blowing out of the nozzle.  They sell a “water trap”, which you mount between the hose and the nozzle, but it’s hardly 100% efficient, and some droplets of water still fly out. I had that water trap attached, but foolishly, I never assumed such tiny and infrequent micro-droplets (it really is an incredibly small amount) could do any damage. After all, the computer is unplugged, right? I figured if any water did end up flying into the computer, it would evaporate long before I re-started the computer over an hour later. Well, apparently not.

At least, that’s one theory. But something definitely happened during that last blowout.

To be safe, I’d suggest anyone reading this buys one of those fan-based blowers. No moisture released through those, and they are cheaper than an air compressor. I can’t remember the name or manufacturer, but they are available at Amazon for around $60, if memory serves. They are black, and look like a slightly over-sized black soup can, with a handle on the back, and an extended nozzle. I believe they make several different models, some of which are used for drying motorcycles and cars, if that helps searching for it.  But the stream of air it produces is as strong, or nearly as strong, as what I got from the fairly expensive air compressor. Plus, they are far easier to use.  Hope this helps someone in the future.

Or, you could simply buy compressed air cans. But those don’t last long, and end up being rather expensive if you have a lot of dust.

But back to the topic, thanks a lot for your help.

And yes, what you said about troubleshooting being a process of elimination is a lesson that all noobs like me need to follow. A short while ago, I had a problem which was baffling all the people on forums. I think I had two or three fairly experienced individuals offering solutions, and they were all over the place. Some, thought it was due to data corruption. Others, thought it might be a dying hard drive. Still others thought it might be a voltage issue with the power supply. Weeks of this never-ending testing took place. Voltages were checked, diagnostic programs were run, it was crazy.

But in the end,

…it was due to nothing more than a cord which had come unplugged.

LOL!

Following your “Simplest things first” approach would have saved an enormous amount of time. As soon as the cord was re-attached, everything returned to normal. Silly silly me.

I guess that’s it for now. Hopefully there won’t be any more problems until the new system is up and running, and XP will (sadly) be a memory. A shame too, I cannot stand the look of the new operating systems. We are creatures of habit, I guess.

May karma smile upon you for all your help!

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:06 AM

Also, this is an older 32bit system. And the RAM which was causing these problems was four sticks of OCZ PC 3200, EL Dual CH Platinum Edition. 2 sticks of 1024mb 2-3-2, and 2 sticks of 512mb 2-2-2-5 (whatever those numbers mean)

That all memory timings "2-2-2-5" 

If you list all your memory you have "need the model number" that you want to use i could recommend settings that should allow it to work with the 3 gigs ram you have even if every memory stick you use is different from the others that is if you don't mind setting up the memory settings in the bios manually, just mixing up the ram and plopping it in can confuse the computer if you leave things on auto detect "SPD mode"

Then you end up with problems.

Id all so need to know what the motherboard is your using to recommend memory settings so i can hunt down a PDF owners manual for the thing.

Ps: many agreed that winXP 32bit was one of the best windows versions every made and im still on it too on my main system and i have 4gigs ram.

#8 petite_penelope

petite_penelope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

Thanks!

Well, to counter the problem of having less RAM (and older/slower RAM too) in the computer now (since I swapped out the questionable RAM which was causing problems), I just went to Amazon and bought four 1gb sticks of this type:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CH6ZR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dirt cheap, and it will solve the problem of mixing up the RAM sizes, yes? Hopefully, it is the right type. I researched as much as my current level of noob-ness would allow, by finding the manual for my motherboard. As far as I read, that RAM should work decently well. I'm surprised it is still even being manufactured. Or perhaps it is just RAM from a decade ago which hadn't sold yet? Who knows.

My board is the Intel D875PBZ, so it was very easy finding the manual. Hope I bought the right RAM. But at barely over $20 for 4gb, seemed like a good gamble.

And yes, I will miss XP dearly. The amount of eye-candy and overwhelmingly unnecessary bells and whistles on the newer OS's, not to mention the learning curve in order to get as comfortable as I was with XP, is unfortunate. But, what could they do? People have the attention span of gerbils, and need constant stimulation and an "experience" associated with basic computing. The first thing I'll be doing with a new OS, is learning how to turn off unneeded featured, and make it as XP-like as possible.

Once again, thank you very much for your help.

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Id probably still loosen the timings on that ram in the bios at the first sine of problems if any happen or slow it down a little or both, and ya ddr1 you have no idea how much of that i have in stock atm like 50 sticks of the stuff.

And good find on the memory topic, that fix problems on the ram topic and is dirt cheap, worth it.

Same as well, im not big on the bling bling eye candy topic, even in XP im in classic mode so its more like win98 and even for a time i setup XP with the color scheme of win98 just so i felt like i was in 98 and not XP..

Putting XP in classic mode as well unlocks a pile of power user options that are missing in XP, seems every time a new version of windows comes out they try and  dumb things down for the masses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users