Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSI Z170A Gaming M3 RAM Suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

How finicky is the above MB with memory? There is a long official list of compatible RAM, but it's tedious trying to look up the latency of each and then which shop has it. Is it risky to get 2x8GB RAM not on the list? Does the CPU play a part in compatibility (I have the i7 6700K)?

Any RAM recommendations at 3000 or above?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:25 AM

Does the CPU play a part in compatibility

Yes because the memory controller in now in the cpu, in the past it was part of the chip-set.

Supported memory: DDR3L-1333, DDR3L-1600, DDR4-1866, DDR4-2133

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-6700K.html

Type of memory used doesn't change much in any case, just get middle of the road speed wise with the best timings possible and you should be good, if you want ram heat sinks just for the look go for it but good ram doesn't need any and shouldn't pump out heat.

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

Does the CPU play a part in compatibility

Yes because the memory controller in now in the cpu, in the past it was part of the chip-set.

Supported memory: DDR3L-1333, DDR3L-1600, DDR4-1866, DDR4-2133

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-6700K.html

Type of memory used doesn't change much in any case, just get middle of the road speed wise with the best timings possible and you should be good, if you want ram heat sinks just for the look go for it but good ram doesn't need any and shouldn't pump out heat.

Thanks.

I want to overclock, so I was thinking speed of 3000 or more. Trying to find 1 with latency 16 or less, and the timings 16 or less. So are you saying this motherboard will accept any DDR4 that the i6700K will?

I looked at the compatile RAM for this motherboard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users