Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Cant Find Boot Disk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

I recently got a refurbished HP Pavilion 550 a209 Desktop. I've been using it for about 3 days with no problems, but tonight it suddenly shut down with no warning, giving me the message that it encountered a problem and had to shut down. Okay. I've seen that before on other computers, so I wasn't freaked out - until I attempted to start the computer again and got a message that no boot disk was found. I thought I'd try again. No luck. Same message.

Anyone have an idea of what happened or what I can do to fix this problem? It's pretty annoying on a computer I've been using for just a few days.

For background, I transferred files and programs from my old computer using a program called Laplink PC Mover (laplink.com). I've used this program three times in the past with no problems, so I really don't think that's the issue. Before transferring everything, I scanned for viruses, etc., to make sure the old computer was clean. Laplink will not transfer programs that are not compatible with the new computer. I have used it to move programs from a computer using XP to one using Windows 7 with no problems at all.

The computer is running Windows 10, which was already on the hard drive when I bought the computer. I did create a repair disk and a Windows 10 ISO disk before doing anything with the computer. It has BIOS version 1.14.0.0. I don't have other information about the computer at the moment.

I am currently running hardware diagnostics, but it has a way to go yet. I already did a memory test and the computer passed.

I could try to fix Windows 10 with the repair disk, but I don't see how that would affect the computer not finding a boot disk. There is an external DVD drive hooked up to the computer and turned on, but that wasn't a problem before.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have another hour or so left on the thorough hardware diagnostic testing. It passed the smart check.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

Boot from the repair disk and see if you can fix things with System Repair

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to try manual repairs of the BCD (which I'm not familiar with).

You may want to post in the W10 forums for assistance with BCD repairs.

Beyond that, I'd suggest a RESET of the system using the "Keep My Files" option.
That should, if it's possible, repair the BCD - but you may have to reinstall programs after that.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheGreenGamers

TheGreenGamers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Try going into the BIOS by pressing f2, f4, f12, or delete as soon as you press the power button to the computer. From there, go to "Boot Options," and then "Boot Order." When you're there, make sure that your operating system's boot drive is #1. The entry might say the drive model, "Onboard Hard Disk," or "Intel Array," if you have a RAID Array. Hopefully this helps.

#4 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I think I may have solved the problem. At least, I've had no problems since around 5 pm last night. I did ask about this in the Windows 10 forum, too, but no responses. Here's what I did.

The problems I was having seem to be related to some missing .dll file with Office 365. It was installed on the computer when I got it or MS decided to install it after I turned on the computer and MS automatically installed updates to Windows 10. I uninstalled Office 365 and then reinstalled the trial - after having to give them my credit card number so they can charge me $99 if I forget to cancel. In any case, the computer has not restarted again yet. Not after being on for hours last night and hours today.

I also checked the connections inside the computer. Everything seemed quite snug, but I gave them all extra little pushes anyway.

My guess is that it was the missing AppVlsvSubsystems32.dll. I have read that this can cause instability problems. I just hope the problem is solved.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

Your welcome. I figure there might be others who have the same problem and might need to know what to look for. I'm not too happy with MS right now, but everything is working. I hope I don't run into problems again when I cancel the subscription to Office 365.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users