Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieN

CharlieN

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

My computer: Compaq Presario SR5710Y Desktop PC (http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR5000-Desktop-PC-series/3823953/model/3867472)

Hello,

Recently my computer has stopped playing audio with no significant signs of why (no new software, power issues, etc.)

The sound tab in the taskbar has a red circled x with the message "No Audio Output Device is installed." Also, my playback devices have disappeared even when I click to "Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices."

In the Device Manager, the Realtek High Definition Audio Device (listed under the Sound, video and game controllers) has a yellow circled x and when I go into its properties it displays the device status as "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I have tried to troubleshoot the problem using nearly troubleshooting guide that I could find online. You can still ask, but most likely I have probably done it. However, there are some things I think that are causing the issue that I could not find online about. 

In Device Manager, when I "view devices by connection" the Realtek High Definition Audio Device is not connected under the High Definition Audio Controller (a system device) which I believe it should be. I believe this because I also own a similar computer model (a compaq presario sr5410f) and when I view its devices by connection its Realtek High Definition audio device is connected under the audio controller. 

What it should somewhat look like (found this picture online):

111899d1480460005t-latest-realtek-hd-aud

What mine looks like:

Attached File  Computer Sound Problem.JPG   88.97KB   0 downloads

Also, here is an old dxdiag file I have that shows I had sound.

Attached File  DxDiag.txt   47.21KB   2 downloads

My current dxdiag for sound looks like this:

Attached File  Sound dxdiag.JPG   54.16KB   0 downloads

I really do not want to reinstall windows or return my computer to its original factory configuration, but if no solution comes I guess I will have to see if that will work.

Edited by CharlieN, 03 January 2017 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

Sounds like a built in sound hardware, you go for a full sound driver purge and sound driver reinstall yet ?

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Instead of re-installing, boot to the original disk and REPAIR.  It will find the needed drivers and set the BIOS properly to reflect the hardware it finds.  If that fails, then the onboard audio is faulty.

#4 CharlieN

CharlieN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

@shadow_647 Yes I have tried reinstalling the sound driver after fully removing all sound drivers on my computer (I think what you mean by purge). 

@mjd420nova I unfortunately do not have the original disk anymore. I am honestly thinking that the onboard audio is faulty.

What are your thoughts on buying an inexpensive external sound card (for example https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8).

From what I have read these simply have their own hardware and are not affected by my audio issues. 

I am thinking this would be my simplest solution and save a lot of time.

Edited by CharlieN, 04 January 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:44 AM

Ya that would fix the problem quickly and as well integrated sound blows in any case, my self i would probably go for a sound blaster X-fi card of some kind, probably get em used for like $20, they were good cards, got one my self kicking around i picked up for cheap and never ended up using.

Btw your link doesn't work, as for cheap sound card is you don't care about sound quality theirs many cards around new for like $15+ tax not that id recommend one.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sound+card+

I use a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS gold on this system with $100 head phones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Audigy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users