Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving apps and files from one computer to another

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Straitsfan

Straitsfan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

I know a guy who needs to get a new laptop, but wants to move Lotus sMartsuite 97 and generic CAD to his new machine.  Can this be done?  He's running windows XP Pro.  

not sure how to do this if it can be done, or even where to find all the app files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

If the laptop is Windows 10 I highly doubt those two programs would even run. I would advise the person to look at more modern alternatives as those two pieces of software are dead. You can download Generic Cad here. You can purchase SmartSuite 97 here but as I posted, it may not run.

Some examples. All free.

For Lotus Smartsuite 97

LibreOffice

WPS Office

Softmaker Free Office

For Generic Cad

LibreCad

QCAD

Draftsight   Requires Activation but is free

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Programs cannot be moved from system to system...programs must be reinstalled due to the way that Windows works on a given system.

Data files can be moved from system to system.

Windows cannot necessarily be moved from one system to another.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users