Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

really need some help with my windows 7 install

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shawnnn18

shawnnn18

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

tried to reinstall my windows 7 operating system and I accidentally deleted my reserved partition and have no idea how to fix it and I only have the install disc really hoping someone can help me ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

It would help if we knew at least the system manufacturer and model.

Where did this "install disk" come from?

Louis

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

If your going to work on a pc you would be wise to have a copy of this, sadly if you deleted a partition chances are is gone as is the data, their are way to get some of the data back but its a real pain to do and you won't get file names back just the data so its a real mess.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

#4 shawnnn18

shawnnn18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

"install disk

It would help if we knew at least the system manufacturer and model.

Where did this "install disk" come from?

Louis

the  install dics from  dell but the pc from a pc guy that  did many upgrades to it

#5 shawnnn18

shawnnn18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

If your going to work on a pc you would be wise to have a copy of this, sadly if you deleted a partition chances are is gone as is the data, their are way to get some of the data back but its a real pain to do and you won't get file names back just the data so its a real mess.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

I just want to be able to do a clean install don't care about keeping the data just want to made like it was

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

What exactly do these install discs say on the labels?  Do they indicate that they are a complete install for Windows 7, or are they only system/motherboard drivers?  Did these come with the original computer, or did you get them later from someone else?

tried to reinstall my windows 7 operating system

What did you use to attempt your reinstall? Obviously you did not use the original restore partition or you would not have removed it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 03 January 2017 - 05:42 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 shawnnn18

shawnnn18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

What exactly do these install discs say on the labels?  Do they indicate that they are a complete install for Windows 7, or are they only system/motherboard drivers?  Did these come with the original computer, or did you get them later from someone else?

tried to reinstall my windows 7 operating system

What did you use to attempt your reinstall? Obviously you did not use the original restore partition or you would not have removed it.

I used the windows 7 pro install disc

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:40 PM

There have not been any "recovery CDs/discs" put forth by any OEM that are equal to a Windows install disc...since 2005-2006, when Microsoft stopped that.  The recovery disks since then are designed only for the system which they were developed for...certainly, it's unreasonable to expect to be able to install Windows on any system (using recovery CDs/DVDs) from an OEM who did not develop/assemble that computer system (which is either not OEM or was put together by a different OEM.

Louis

#9 shawnnn18

shawnnn18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

There have not been any "recovery CDs/discs" put forth by any OEM that are equal to a Windows install disc...since 2005-2006, when Microsoft stopped that.  The recovery disks since then are designed only for the system which they were developed for...certainly, it's unreasonable to expect to be able to install Windows on any system (using recovery CDs/DVDs) from an OEM who did not develop/assemble that computer system (which is either not OEM or was put together by a different OEM.

Louis

it's windows 7 pro I don't need to save any data all I want to do is fix what I did and be able to do a clean install which I'm not sure how

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:32 AM

it's windows 7 pro I don't need to save any data all I want to do is fix what I did and be able to do a clean install which I'm not sure how

Simple setup then, use hirens boot cd and find the app called kill disk, it will be listed under hard drive tools.

It will zero bit format the drive and in the process kill all virus dead as well as wipe the drive back to a clean factory state, when done "might take a wile" restart pc and lunch miniXP, its a live boot winXP Os on the cd and find disk management, you do know how to format drives in winXP right, cool good.

At this point i would recommend you setup a disk partition, chop the drive space in two if you only have one hdd and make one space only for windows and one for your data, all drives have to be NTFS, sadly win7 doesn't install on fat 32 and windows is a retard and won't format fat32 past 32gigs even if the real size limit in windows is 138gigs and in Linux 2048 gigs.

As well remember a win7 install takes some space, you should be good with 120gigs.

This makes cleaning up the windows install less of a pain down the road if and when needed as everything windows is on one part of the drive and everything data is on the other part.

After that just pop in the win7 DVD and let it boot, its just answering multiple choice questions to install, kind of brainless and not hard to do, you should be ok.

Edited by shadow_647, 04 January 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

Since you used the W7 retail installation disks, you did not get the motherboard and peripherals drivers for your computer. You will have to go on the website of your manufacturer and try to find the drivers for that unit. Windows generic driver may or may not work, but for best performance you need the original drivers installed for that computer.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:28 AM

True, might as well get a copy of this too then its live boot as well and will let you surf the net for drivers on the computer that needs em, if not you have to get stuff from one computer the move it over to the other by usb flash drive or something, that is if windows setups up your usb that is and it might not.

https://linuxmint.com/

#13 shawnnn18

shawnnn18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Simple setup then, use hirens boot cd and find the app called kill disk, it will be listed under hard drive tools.

It will zero bit format the drive and in the process kill all virus dead as well as wipe the drive back to a clean factory state, when done "might take a wile" restart pc and lunch miniXP, its a live boot winXP Os on the cd and find disk management, you do know how to format drives in winXP right, cool good.

At this point i would recommend you setup a disk partition, chop the drive space in two if you only have one hdd and make one space only for windows and one for your data, all drives have to be NTFS, sadly win7 doesn't install on fat 32 and windows is a retard and won't format fat32 past 32gigs even if the real size limit in windows is 138gigs and in Linux 2048 gigs.

As well remember a win7 install takes some space, you should be good with 120gigs.

This makes cleaning up the windows install less of a pain down the road if and when needed as everything windows is on one part of the drive and everything data is on the other part.

After that just pop in the win7 DVD and let it boot, its just answering multiple choice questions to install, kind of brainless and not hard to do, you should be ok.

I don't know how to format drives ?

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

I don't know how to format drives

-_-

Well your going to have to learn if you want to rebuild a windows install, its that or send your pc to a repair shop.

If you want to do it your self lunch miniXP from the live boot tools cd i linked to and find this, once their you should be able to do whatever you need to, to a hdd.

format_hdd.jpg

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:38 PM

When you install a Windows operating it will format the drive.  The only thing you have to do is decide how large you want to make the partition for the operating system.  You can just use one partition if you don't need or want another partition.  The is a good installation tutorial that you may find very useful to understand what the different steps do and how to do them.  You can find this tutorial here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users