Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC build advice?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sanpt7777

sanpt7777

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Hey, looking for some direction.

I want to build a PC that performs well. I will be using it mainly for work, designing furniture. That means things like sketchup, solidworks... but also I want to get started with mechanical simulation software because I'm tired of prototypes being made, failing, costing money and then ending in the corner of our shop.

I will also use it to edit videos for a project I have with a friend and casual gaming, I just don't want it to be sub-standard.

I'm thinking of a $500 budget just for the PC without peripherals. Any suggestions as to what parts would go well into this to build something that performs and lasts a good 3 years?

I believe an i7 will cost almost half my budget? :/

P.S. I already have a Source 210 case from a project that never took off :(

Thank you very much. I will build a parts list here :D
I'm mainly worried about motherboard and processor choice. I'm clueless but I think I'll go Asus/Intel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

An i7 can eat up most of your budget, depending on the exact model. To give you an idea, my i7, the 4770K, is a 3.5Ghz chip, and cost $350 when purchased new.

As far as motherboards I recommend Gigabyte, Asus, or MSI. I find that Asus has some really good high end boards. But if you only need a board and no special features, I say go with MSI. It all varies depending on your needs.

#3 sanpt7777

sanpt7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Alright, that was a silly budget. Let's not stick to a budget then. It can be deducted after all :D

Dollars are not my currency, honest mistake.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Considering what you are going to use the computer for, $500 seemed very optimistic, even with a pre-existing case.

For work I recently built three computers with 4.0 Ghz i7's, a modest MSI mobo, 275 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, a case, and a 500 watt corsair PSU. No GPU. Total price per machine? $611. Those machines did not need a GPU, if they did I expect the cost would have been $750-$900.

#5 sanpt7777

sanpt7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

Doesn't sound too bad, I mean, I can pay the same for a laptop that won't be that good. I'm checking motherboards atm. Will look into those too.

May I ask what kind of work are those machines doing?

Edited by sanpt7777, 03 January 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

If you want "cheap i7" (or similar in this case), only wise option is to wait for AMD Zen. Or at least more info about it. That info should come in two weeks.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 January 2017 - 04:10 PM.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

The machines I built are meant to test electronic hardware using (mostly) proprietary software. One of the non-custom softwares is National Instruments LabView.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users