Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing hdd to SSD in HP Elitebook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Habs77

Habs77

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

Hi all.

I recently upgraded my above laptop from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and now I want to change it to a SSD.  I have nothing on the laptop of any value so if I lose files its no big deal but here are my questions:

-how do I know if my laptop will accept a SSD?

-do I have to reload everything re: Windows 7 then upgrade to 10?

-is there a step-by-step video available somewhere on how to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You don't mention what model of EliteBook, but provided it has a SATA interface you should have no issues installing a SSD.  If it was made any time in the last five years or so it should be SATA.

I believe you can install straight to Windows 10 as Microsoft stores the activation.

You're going to want to remove the mechanical drive from the carrier and installed the SSD into the carrier.  Depending on the model there may be an adapter to change the direction of the connection.

You can go to HP and download the Service Manual for your laptop for instructions on how to access the hard drive.  Normally it is quite easy.

#3 Habs77

Habs77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

You don't mention what model of EliteBook, but provided it has a SATA interface you should have no issues installing a SSD.  If it was made any time in the last five years or so it should be SATA.

I believe you can install straight to Windows 10 as Microsoft stores the activation.

You're going to want to remove the mechanical drive from the carrier and installed the SSD into the carrier.  Depending on the model there may be an adapter to change the direction of the connection.

You can go to HP and download the Service Manual for your laptop for instructions on how to access the hard drive.  Normally it is quite easy.

How would I know if it has a SATA interface?  I'm at work right now so will check when I get home but I think it is 8460p.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Here is the link for the Service and Maintenance manual for the 8460p.  It supports SATA, page 130 of the manual.

#5 Habs77

Habs77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Here is the link for the Service and Maintenance manual for the 8460p.  It supports SATA, page 130 of the manual.

OK.  Will confirm later.

What happens after I remove the hdd and install the ssd - will the computer start using Win7 again?

#6 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

OK.  Will confirm later.

What happens after I remove the hdd and install the ssd - will the computer start using Win7 again?

No, you'll have to install the OS again if Windows 10 is installed on the HDD you plan to remove

#7 Habs77

Habs77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

OK.  Will confirm later.

No, you'll have to install the OS again if Windows 10 is installed on the HDD you plan to remove

I assume install Win7 using the recovery disk from HP that came with the laptop, correct?

#8 donisonleague

donisonleague

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

If you still have got it, yes, otherwise you may directly download a Win 10 ISO from the Windows mediacreationtool and then buy a license.

EDIT: An alternative is to clone your current disk on your new SSD if you manage to attach the SSD as an external disk (with proper tools, like MiniTool Partition Wizard), but a fresh install is way better if you can do it.

Edited by donisonleague, 03 January 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#9 Habs77

Habs77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

If you still have got it, yes, otherwise you may directly download a Win 10 ISO from the Windows mediacreationtool and then buy a license.

EDIT: An alternative is to clone your current disk on your new SSD if you manage to attach the SSD as an external disk (with proper tools, like MiniTool Partition Wizard), but a fresh install is way better if you can do it.

Confirmed it is the 8460p and I have the boot disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users