Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Altering a Game file: can't do it?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PC60dum

PC60dum

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I've been altering game files since Win ME. I did with W XP with no problems. I now have W 7 and it won't allow me to save the file once I change something. I'm re-playing Deus Ex the Invisible war which never was a great game. But I want to play it again and I don't like getting killed often. I'm trying to use the cheats but I have to alter a few files and W7 won't let me do it.

Not only does this happen but I patched the game up v 1.2 and now it won't even start. I found the saves folder and I copied it and moved it so it doesn't get deleted. Because unless someone knows a trick with this patch I have to uninstall and reinstall the game.

But my main question is can I save a file again when I alter it?

Edited by hamluis, 05 January 2017 - 02:39 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Computer Gaming - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:55 PM

Hi:

Alas, that sounds like something that violates the EULA for the game(s), and it may also violate the forum's piracy policy.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Sorry I cannot help with that,

MM

#3 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

This is a W7 thing. Cheats only work because the game writers put them in. For example, in the Thief games there are no cheats. I've read about this a lot. Some people find the game more interesting if they can add weapons or ammo. Personally, I use them because I have nerve damage and can't control the mouse well. The cheats are supposed to work, there are You Tube videos showing they work.

I just got this PC and I bet I have to do something in the options that will allow e to save a file I altered. It's not breaking the law. However, I know some gamers who feel it's not right. But it's not a copyright infringement.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Cheats only work because the game writers put them in

Accepting this argument at face value it sounds like a permissions problem. Since you say you know where the save folder 'lives' a first step would be to go to the folder in Windows Explorer and set the files iin the folder to read/write. It may be they are set 'read only'.

Right click on the folder and select properties in the dialogue box that appears and untick the box that says 'read only', then click 'apply' and exit the box. You should now havve set all the files in the folder to read/write.

If this doesn't work then it is probably an actual 'permissions' problem and at the moment I can't help you with that since I don't have access to a computer runniing Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:21 PM

Now you know why the day i install win7 and use it on my main system i would have liked to install it on fat32, ill pass on the alliterate data streams topic of NTFS  for my windows drive, sadly win7 wont install on fat32 last i checked.

ill pass on the folder madness permissions topic on newer versions of windows, when the day comes ill probably try and find a hack to disable that topic permanently.

Edited by shadow_647, 04 January 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#6 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

Now you know why the day i install win7 and use it on my main system i would have liked to install it on fat32, ill pass on the alliterate data streams topic of NTFS  for my windows drive, sadly win7 wont install on fat32 last i checked.

ill pass on the folder madness permissions topic on newer versions of windows, when the day comes ill probably try and find a hack to disable that topic permanently.

But hold on, I'm pretty sure Win XP is also using NTFS files and I'm pretty sure I've altered files and saved them.  This problem with Win 7 happens even if all I do it add a space to the file. So if a line of script is: Activate cheats and I do this: Activate  cheats Win 7 won't let me save it. I'm the only user of the pc. It's a refurbished laptop that was given to me as a gift. I wonder if the guy who set it up doesn't have me as the Authorized User (or whatever the term is) I mean when he refurbished it he had no idea who would buy it. I don't even know how to check to see if there's an authorized user listed. I know little about computers. But this does seem to be a permission issue.

I have plenty of HD space so I'm thinking maybe I'll install Deus Ex 1 and see if I can alter a file in that game. I think I did on my old XP pc.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:46 AM

Im all most wondering too if its a antivirus thing.

Set, View, Change, or Remove Permissions on Files and Folders, win7

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754344(v=ws.11).aspx

#8 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Thanks Shadow, I have to read that page when I have more time.

Here's another annoying thing. Now bear in mind I'm already about 12 hours of play into this game and to be honest it isn't very good. Meaning I'm not going to start over.

First I patched the game with the 1.2 patch and it wouldn't even start anymore. I had to uninstall and reinstall it. Luckily all the saved games are in a separate folder. 

Speaking of saves, I hate getting killed so I save often and the jerky programmers didn't put a quicksave in. However, I found out patch 1.1 adds quicksave and quickload. So I patched it with the 1.1 patch. The game started but I couldn't load a saved game. So once again I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Deus Ex 1 is probably the best game game I ever played. I played it so many times I could write a walkthrough. So now I'm playing DX2 but it's nothing like the first one.

I'll let you know if I succeed in altering a file.

#9 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

What is the error you get when trying to save the file? Can you alter any file or document on the laptop? Are you an administrator user?

#10 PC60dum

PC60dum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Shadow was right. I had to right click the file and go to properties. Then Security and I had to give all users the right to modify the file. Then Apply and OK. I was then able to save the file after I changed it. Win XP didn't have this.

But the game writers did a lousy job with the cheats too. I guess it's no shock since they did a bad job with the entire game. From what I remember back then we gamers who loved DX 1 so much wanted a sequel. Either Edios or Ion Storm didn't really want to make one. It took a long time for the game to come out from when we first heard they were making one. And as I said, it was never very good. 

To use the cheats I had to enable what they called the Debug Menu. But it was very hard to use and it made things happen I didn't want to happen.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users