Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

template - advice about gbs/ghz/ram

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hollow88

Hollow88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Have had a sony vaio for 8 yrs? now and really loved it until a dll error keeps popping up and then finally the kill shot, dogs ran through sofa and ottoman with power supply attached and bent port, causing a problem with charging it.  Too costly to fix an old model and not willing to pay the same as back then when I found out I have never even come close to using it to it's fullest capabilities. I am looking for someone to give me insight as to what ghz,gbs and ram I need to look for considering the below programs and usage I have provided.  I don't care if it is a larger tablet or full size laptop I just don't want to buy one again that half of it's potential is wasted therefore the question of what specs I should look for is the most important priority.   After that, I should be able to figure the rest out.
The only real programs I use are the following:
email
word/excel type
adobe photoshop elements/editor (do not use for professional purpose, only hobbyist) 
3d home architect/hgtv home and landscape (do not use for professional purpose, only hobbyist)
internet surfing (pinterest/facebook/ebay)
2003 Microsoft money program (I know I will have to upgrade this but will find similar updated product to replace it with)

Edit: Moved topic from General Chat to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:09 PM

How much do you have to spend?

Also need to know your country to suggest vendors in your area.

I take it you want to stick with a laptop.  Any machine you get today will be better than an eight year old machine.

Ghz isn't a major consideration these days when picking a CPU.  For RAM I recommend 8GB, you can get by with 4GB..  How much storage you have today is up to you.  If you go with a Solid State Drive (SSD), they are faster than a mechanical drive by a factor of about 10, but cost prohibitive above about 512GB.  I'd recommend a SSD if at all possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users