Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

advice for buying a new/refurb laptop/tablet, so confused

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hollow88

Hollow88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Have had a sony vaio for 8 yrs? now and really loved it until a dll error keeps popping up and then finally the kill shot, dogs ran through sofa and ottoman with power supply attached and bent port, causing a problem with charging it.  Too costly to fix an old model and not willing to pay the same as back then when I found out I have never even come close to using it to it's fullest capabilities. I am looking for someone to give me insight as to what ghz,gbs and ram I need to look for considering the below programs and usage I have provided.  I don't care if it is a larger tablet or full size laptop I just don't want to buy one again that half of it's potential is wasted.   After that, I should be able to figure the rest out.

The only real programs I use are the following:

email

word/excel type

adobe photoshop elements/editor (do not use for professional purpose, only hobbyist) 

3d home architect/hgtv home and landscape (do not use for professional purpose, only hobbyist)

internet surfing (pinterest/facebook/ebay)

2003 Microsoft money program (I know I will have to upgrade this but will find similar updated product to replace it with)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hollow88

Hollow88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

And I am not willing to spend more than 200$ on a new or refurbished model.  I am only a hobbyist at best for most that I do even if it is on a daily basis.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

All the software you list will run on a laptop/notebook computer but I think you will want to check the availability of this software, or equivalents, on tablets. You must have friends with tablets, I suggest you ask one or two of them if you can get photoshop essentials and 3D architecture packages in the various app stores. If you can, you may prefer a tablet for its high portability.

Another factor to bear in mind is that tablets typically have much more restricted data storage than laptops. Along with that they have smaller screens.

I know this doesn't give a 'buy this model' answer to your question but I hope it gives you some pointers towards coming to a correct decision.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users