Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP boot file problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 systemsol

systemsol

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

I have a POS unit that I bought online used. The hard Drive was bad but it is the exact same model unit that I am currently using in my business. I purchased a new hard drive and removed the hard drive from one of the units Im currently using and used Macrium Reflect to clone the new drive. I installed the new drive in the used POS unit I bought and it will boot up fine the first time but after a restart I get the windows/config/system file notice. I have tried to repair it through recovery console using the command prompt but nothing fixes it. I can erase the disk re-clone it and it will boot once then I get error on restart. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:55 PM

A clone is an exact copy.

If you cloned a drive and have problems when you attempt to use it...I would suspect that the drive cloned was not in the best condition when clone was done.

It might be helpful if we knew the exact wording of the onscreen error message...and exactly when it appears.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#3 systemsol

systemsol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

A clone is an exact copy.

If you cloned a drive and have problems when you attempt to use it...I would suspect that the drive cloned was not in the best condition when clone was done.

It might be helpful if we knew the exact wording of the onscreen error message...and exactly when it appears.

Louis

The error is "Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt; C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

The drive I cloned from works perfectly. That is why this is baffling.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

I misuncerstood your situation...on re-reading your post, it seems that you cloned a drive from System X and tried to use that in the recently purcased system...that won't work, should not work unless the system which provided the clone is exactly the same as the system trying to use the cloned drive.

That amounts to trying to use one valid license of Windows in 2 different systems...and the system settings/drivers are totally different.

Product Activation was implemented by Microsoft  to prevent such.  Combine that with the drivers and system files trying to load...and you get your situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users