Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All browsers running very slow

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Surprise Giraffe

Surprise Giraffe

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:55 AM

They all have input lag too and the problem seems exclusive to browsers (edge and chrome). You can hear the fan spin up to top speed as soon as you try opening a browser. This is on a 3 year old laptop with 4gb ram and over 200gb free disk space. Avg is unstalled and the machine is regularly updated. Scans show no results. Ive tried clearing browser data and reinstalling to no effect. The problems been occuring for the last day so far as we know (hasnt been used for a couple weeks). Anyone have any idea? Google knows nothing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:08 AM

Don't know but to see if its a hardware problem or software try a copy of Linux mint, its 100% live boot runs 100% off the DVD drive no need to install anything, fire that up and surf the net some and see if you still have a problem, if you do then its hardware if your don't then its software.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Doing this in your next post could be useful too.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Hi, @Surprise Giraffe:

They all have input lag too and the problem seems exclusive to browsers (edge and chrome). You can hear the fan spin up to top speed as soon as you try opening a browser. This is on a 3 year old laptop with 4gb ram and over 200gb free disk space. Avg is unstalled and the machine is regularly updated. Scans show no results. Ive tried clearing browser data and reinstalling to no effect. The problems been occuring for the last day so far as we know (hasnt been used for a couple weeks). Anyone have any idea? Google knows nothing

There are many possible reasons for the behavior you report, especially since the Win10 OS on this 3-year-old device appears to be an upgrade from a previous OS.

These include, among others, hardware issues, software issues (such as security software conflicts, etc.), networking problems, even malware.

Please post the speccy report, as requested. It will provide a bit of baseline data to help guide further support.  We will go from there.

Thanks,

MM

#4 Surprise Giraffe

Surprise Giraffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

Here's the speccy report.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/SEGBQPApZVxStXHbbNuFtWz

Haven't tried Linux yet, will give a go shortly

Thanks for your help with this

Edited by Surprise Giraffe, 03 January 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hi:

Thanks for the report.

Until a staff member, expert or mod comes along to formally review the speccy report, I have a feeling that the AVG browser plug-ins may be contributing to your problem.

Such plug-ins are notorious for slowing down performance (just run a Google search for "AVG browser plug-in slows performance" to see the number of reports -- HERE is just one and here is another, albeit older one).

The other issue is that AVG was recently purchased by Avast -- so it's not clear how much longer the AVG brand will be around.

Your hardware is sufficient to run 64-bit Win10, but more RAM would probably improve overall performance, if your mobo will support it.

My first suggestions would be:

• "Reset" your browsers -- let us know if you need help with that for  Edge  - Firefox - Chrome - IE11
  • Disable/uninstall the AVG browser plug-ins; OR
  • Temporarily uninstall AVG completely (using a vendor removal tool) and reboot -- use Windows Defender built-in to Win10 for temporary AV protection;

If browser performance improves with AVG's plug-ins disabled and/or AVG uninstalled, then I would suggest finding a different AV, either free or paid.

If browser performance does not improve with AVG disabled/removed, then additional troubleshooting may be needed.

We will see what the more expert forum folks have to say,

MM

{EDIT: added link to AVG removal tool}

Edited by MoxieMomma, 03 January 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Avg is unstalled

From the info in speccy, some of AVG is still running as well you have a lot of processes over all running.

Edited by shadow_647, 03 January 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Hi:

That "uninstall" may have been a typo.

The speccy log shows AVG Free installed and up-to-date and Windows Defender disabled, as it should be, with a 3rd-party AV (see screen shot).

(Since a recent Win10 update, WD runs background, idle scans, even when its real-time protection is disabled. That is not likely to be the cause of the OP's issue.)

Most of the running services are part of Windows 10 and are normal.

@Surprise Giraffe: 

It does look as if you might have Trusteer Rapport installed, as well?

It, too, can cause subtle conflicts and performance issues with 3rd-party AVs and browsers.

Thanks,

MM

Attached Files

#8 Surprise Giraffe

Surprise Giraffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:42 AM

The issue just dissipated? Not a clue why, don't care. Thanks for your help all

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

Hi:

That's great news.

Perhaps it was some sort of network congestion with your ISP (since it affected all browsers)?

I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem without resorting to a lot of troubleshooting or alternate Operating Systems.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Cheers,

MM

#10 hml999

hml999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hi, all. I'm bumping this as I have the same problem. Would appreciate any and all expert advice.

Here's my Speccy info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/V8JRQGpLfOTGjBczqTfSXSp

Edited by hml999, 10 July 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

Hi, all. I'm bumping this as I have the same problem. Would appreciate any and all expert advice.

Here's my Speccy info: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/V8JRQGpLfOTGjBczqTfSXSp

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time. This rule goes same for firewall programs.

Your computer CPU overheating clean all dust from inside computer and apply new thermal paste to CPU.

Posted Image

#12 hml999

hml999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time. This rule goes same for firewall programs.

Your computer CPU overheating clean all dust from inside computer and apply new thermal paste to CPU.

Thanks. I only have Bitdefender enabled.

Can that be right that my CPU is 101 °C (that's 215°F)? Also, I'm not familiar with thermal paste.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

You have MalwareBytes running as well please disable MalwareBytes real-time protection.
Your CPU temperature is 101 °C, its overheating.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users