Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Went from usb 3 problem to Windows 10 not booting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tomytea

tomytea

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:48 AM

Hi everyone,

Sorry if the text is long, I tried to present my problem as precisely as possible.

I had some Usb 3 devices (hard drives and flash drives) that I knew work, but weren't recognized specifically on the
usb 3 ports of my own desktop computer.
They weren't even appearing nameless in the Disk management.
I did have a small error sign in the Device Manager at the USB Superspeed line :
"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

So I found this as a potential solution :

Which leads to modifying the registry
so I went on and deleted the upper and lowerfilters from the registry for the "hard drive" value as suggested.

But a bigger problem appeared when I tried to restart the computer to see if that had done the rick

"Inaccessible boot device" appeared when trying to boot Windows 10.
I can only access that blue windows boot manager or the BIOS (or Windows from a key).

Here's where I'm at :
- The Automatic Repair / Startup repair option doesn't work ("startup repair couldn't repair your PC")
- Can't access any special boot mode like the Safe mode as it's advised on the web
- I figured it my be that Windows tries to boot on the wrong disk, but when I manually select
my usual C drive to boot it says "Reboot and select proper boot device"
- I don't have a System Restore option, nor a System Image Recovery
- I tried messing with the chkdsk command in the command prompt but wasn't successful
The command prompt tells me I'm on an X: drive, not the C:
- I tried to reinstall windows without loosing data ( ) by creating a
bootable key, but when I boot from that key and try to install windows without loosing data ("Upgrade : Install Windows
and keep files, settings and applications"), it tells me, quite logically :
"The computer started the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so
that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade."
But starting Windows normally is not a thing I'm able to do.

I don't want to loose my files nor my installed apps, I have too much of them.

Deleting the upper and lowerfilters seem to small of a change to require me to reinstall Windows AND all my apps (the "Reset and keep my files" option, which I seem to have as my last resort).
Do you have any suggestions ? I'm running out of ideas

Thanks a lot guys !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users