Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - Does not boot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Aidex

Aidex

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:45 AM

Hi Everyone

Hope you've all had a good Xmas and New Yr!

First post and I'm not great with computers so apologies for any newbie mistakes.

My laptop froze on Christmas Day. I turned it off to reboot and it's not restarted since. It's a So y Vaio with Windows 7.

When I turn it on it says Windows didn't start properly and says to either repair or run normally. Regardless of which I do it says loading files, then the windows icon appears with the flashing green line beneath it, then a blue graphic windows screen and then it just stays there.

I've tried using the recovery CD but although it prompts to boot from it the same as above happens. On one occasion it went a little further but it didn't let me click the option to boot from image.

I removed the hard disk and put on a dock. I connected this to an old desktop with XP. In disk management it shows the hard disk with a partition and both as healthy. BUT if I try to open any of the drives it says they need formatting.

I have my babies and honeymoon photos on the PC and a few work docs I really need. Pretty much bberything else I can live without.

I think it's some malware and/or virus but I can't open anything to copy files out or run spy it, avg, etc. And TBH I have no clue how to do so.

So please if anyone can help me out we'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks!
Aidex

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2017 - 08:56 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:07 AM

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Also, when you connect it to another PC if you just refuse to format it then occasionally if you go to the drive and try and open it, it will work. So if data recovery is your #1 priority at the moment then just refuse to format and see if it will allow you to open it.

Edited by Steven_M, 03 January 2017 - 07:13 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

To use your recovery disc you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD drive is the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second device.

If you can see your documents when using the docking device right click on the data you wish to save and select Send to and choose a external storage device like a flash drive or an external hdd.  It's unfortunate that most people don't realize the importance of backing up their important data to removable media until they experience a problem like this.

I concur with Steven_M, you need to try to boot into Safe Mode.  I don't know what you level of computer knowledge is, so I will include instructions for booting into Safe Mode.

To boot into Safe Mode press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key.  Continue to do this until you either reach the Advanced Boot Options or Windows tries to boot.  From the Advanced Boot Options select Last Known Good Configuration.  If you are able to boot into Windows after this you should run sfc /scannow.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then type cmd in the Search box. 

CMD will appear above the search box, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.  Double click on this icon to open 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Aidex

Aidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies!!!

I was only able to boot into Safe Mode once last week when this first happened. It got me to a black screen with Safe Mode in the corners and that was it. Had to turn off as it stayed there overnight. Since then it won't boot into Safe Mode.

Whatever option I choose in F8 it ends up doing the same thing as posted above ultimately blue windows screen and just stays there.

BIOS is set up to run from disk first but again even though it says to press any key to boot from CD/DVD (i did a Win 7 repair CD for the Vaio ages ago) it ends up on the same blue screen.

I've been able to load PuppyLinux on an external device and boot from that. This has allowed me to see my HDD, folders, files etc and I'm slowly copying these onto Key Fobs and dumping on old XP PC.

In Linux (which I've never used before) I can see the partition and windows, recovery folders, etc. Is it possible to:
1. Run antivirus/anti malware programs from Linux to resolve the issue?
2. Repair my windows startup problem from within Linux?

Many thanks again!

Aidex

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

If you are getting a BSOD this is not an infection.  This is either software or hardware.

If you can boot from media with Linux on it you should be able to boot from the from the repair disc.  If you can not, then I suspect that there is a problem with the repair disc you created.  To be sure you did this properly you should read the instructions supplied by Microsoft.

Do you have a Windows 7 Installation disc for this version of windows?  If you don't you may be able to get your local repair shop to burn you a copy.  You need to explain to them that you want it to perform a Repair Installation.  If you can get a copy of the installation media use the instructions below and do a Startup Repair.

Repair Installation Instructions

Attention:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical driver is the first device in the boot order, and the HDD/SSD is the second devcice.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, do so.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Aidex

Aidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:11 AM

Hi There

Thanks again for your help.

I've used the repair disk successfully once before a couple of years ago so I assumed it should be still be fine (always kept it in its own case,not been out since, etc).

I've been able to get part of the way to repair. I get up to the screenshot in "6." above but it says 0mb for the windows 7 partition. It doesn't let me do anything it just stays at this point searching (for something I guess). However both in Puppy Linux and when looking on Drive Manager it says the partition is 100mb with 30+ MB being used. Also, in Puppy Linux I can look inside the partition and see the folders etc (can't do this in drive manager where it just says to format drive if clicking on it).

What's strange to me is that there are 3 partitions that show up in Puppy Linux - one looks like a windows partiruin, a recovery partition and the main partition with all my data, etc. Is this normal?

I've been trying to run Clamav in Linux but can't figure out how (I'm really not very techie and am new to all of this).

Really grateful for any further advice.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'm going to guess that when you mention Drive Manager you actually are referring to the Disk Management?

There usually are three basic partitions on a OEM computer's SSD/HDD:

System Reserved, this is usually around 100MB in size.  This contains the Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data.  This contains the MBR as well.

The System Recovery Partition.  This is used to return operating system to the condition it was in from the factory.

The partition which contains the operating system.

Can you see the hdd in the BIOS?

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

#8 Aidex

Aidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:43 AM

Hi

Sorry for the delay. I had to boot Seatools from ISB and it took me a little while to figure this out.

Anyway I ran a short test and it failed. I've taken a couple of photos of what it showed but I can't upload them from my iPhone (or at least I can't figure out how to do so).

However all it said was:

1. Test failed
2. If making a warranty claim this is a good time to back up.
3. Do a long scan to avoid any down time as failure could have been caused by bad sectors which SeaTools might be able to repair.

There were no error codes etc that I could see anywhere.

HTH!

Many thanks again!!!
Aidex

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

That test usually tells it like it is.  But I would like to see the results of one more scan.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

#10 Aidex

Aidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hi again

Thanks for your post. Just a quick check. To scan the drive using GSmartControl, do I put the HDD in a dock and test it on my old XP desktop that way?

Thanks!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

Can you download the program on the computer that the hdd is installed in?

If you can, do it from there.

In order to post images in your topic you can use a host website like Photobucket, or you can use the instruction below.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

#12 Aidex

Aidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi again :(

I can't do anything outside of a Puppy Linux on te laptop with the problem HDD. I might be able to download it in Linux but not sure it would run on that?

I did try theMore Reply Options earlier but there wasn't anything that would let me attach files. I've just tried again but there is no browse option. Is it perhaps not available on an iPhone?

Thanks again!!!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

I forgot that this topic is in the Am I Infected forum.  You can't use this feature in this forum.

#14 Aidex

Aidex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Oh ok. No worries. Is there any way of fixing the HDD given the SeaTools report?

Or should I consider formatting and reinstall?

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

You need to backup all of your important data before the hdd dies.  You are going to need a new hdd.  Once the drive fails there isn't anything that you can do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users