Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Usage 100%

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:28 PM

Last week my computer was working completely normally, but a few days ago the disk usage would flare up from 0% to 95 and 100% in around 2 minutes. Now, i have done numerous scans with malwarebytes, superantispyware etc and nothing has been found apart from a few tracking cookies in superantispyware. When my PC loads hardly any programs run at the start apart from malwarebytes, anti exploit and my anti virus and this has never happened before until recently.

But i thought firstly it may have been a combo between firefox and spotify, because i had spotify open once while watching a youtube video and firefox just stopped responding for around 10 minutes, then when i looked at the disk usage it was 100% for the entire time apparently and that really isn't normal at all to me lol. Then i removed both of them for a test, then the same thing happened with microsoft edge and the usage went to 100% in about two seconds flat too. I've had to restart my computer a lot via the button, which i hate doing and i've also done a disk check and it claims the disk is healthy. What else can i do? Thanks. And yes, i did post this somewhere else but it must have been in the wrong place. I really need this resolving as my computer is unusable practically and it will only work in safe mode. system and compressed memory is at the top when the usage goes to %100.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

Hi:

What version of Malwarebytes?

If it's Malwarebytes 3.0, this is a known, as-yet-unresolved issue.

In the interest of "faster scan times", they implemented multi-thread scanning, which results in ~100% CPU usage on many systems.

See these, for just a few examples:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192291-high-cpu-usage/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192319-ransomware-protection-causes-high-cpu-usage-on-video-streaming/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/193294-can-i-run-a-threat-scan-in-the-background/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192523-mbam-304-performance-issues/#comment-1081974

The developers say that there will be a fix with future builds.

Until then, you might want to roll back to version 2.2.1.1043, which is more stable and does not have the CPU usage issue.

If this does not apply to or resolve your issue, then please free to disregard the above advice.  You may have another issue (software conflict, malware, etc.).

HTH,

MM

#3 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

Id say get friendly with this app and track down whats doing what with it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

#4 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the replies and i'll try those suggestions later. Because i can't really be booting my PC into safe mode for the rest of it's life and my life lol. I've not installed any new programs or anything and the crashes in Firefox/Windows happened in the blink of an eye. Also, it's the latest version of malwarebytes i recall, but i will check for updates later on.

Edited by Miguel_92, 03 January 2017 - 11:28 PM.

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

I thought i had fixed my error by turning off superfetch and windows index service, but now when i log onto my computer it takes around 4 hours for programs i've clicked on etc to open which is beyond farcical. Also, my disk might have bad sectors too, because i did a check with a program and it said it contained errors. And when i try to do a backup with Acronis true image that will also tell me about an error while trying to read the disk as well. How can i fix these errors? lol. The disk usage must reach 100% the moment i log on as well, which it hasn't done before but it would usually take 10 minutes for that to happen lol. Even though i am the admin of the sole account on the computer i am using, when i try to run disk check it says "Access denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to envoke this utlility running in elevated mode" can someone elaborate as to what it wants me to do? Thanks

Edited by Miguel_92, 14 January 2017 - 10:30 PM.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

First as has been suggested by MoxieMomma, if you are using Malwarebytes version 3, uninstall it and reboot.

Which program told you you had disk errors?

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Look up the chkdsk command.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

Hi:

We are going to need more data about the system in order to better assist you.

For example, the instructions posted in the reply above mine are for Windows XP.

We do not even know your Windows OS version -- so that suggestion may be irrelevant if you are on a newer Windows version.

You said you did not install new software, but then you said that you have the latest, NEW version of Malwarebytes, MB3.

MB3 is KNOWN to cause issues with resource consumption for many, many users.

It should be an easy first step to uninstall it, from Safe Mode if necessary.

I suspect that removing MB3 will not be the sole solution for you.

But it will take that problem out of consideration, in order to focus on other tasks (chkdsk, sfc /scannow, etc.).

I expect a forum mod or other expert will request both Speccy and MTB data, in order obtain some data to better guide you.

Cheers,

MM

#9 Xoctane

Xoctane

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

It doesn't matter that it's for XP.

Miguel_92, to run chkdsk, you need an elevated command prompt. Instructions on how to start one: Elevated command prompt

I recommend running the command chkdsk /r C: (if your system drive is C, of course).

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hi:

It doesn't matter that it's for XP.

Excellent point, at least for now.

Thankfully, cmd.exe is not going away entirely, yet...

http://computerworld.com/article/3149115/operating-systems/follow-up-ms-dos-lives-on-after-all.html?nsdr=true

Point well-taken. :wink:

Miguel_92, to run chkdsk, you need an elevated command prompt. Instructions on how to start one: Elevated command prompt

I recommend running the command chkdsk /r C: (if your system drive is C, of course).

Also excellent advice -- if you have a bad hard drive, then fixing software or malware or similar issues will be moot.

Good luck!

Cheers,
MM

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Y'know, Spotify might be at the root of your problem. There's a possibility we're all approaching this from the wrong angle.....

Have a read of this:-

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/for-five-months-spotify-has-badly-abused-users-storage-drives/

Apparently the recent build of Spotify has been known to write 10's, if not 100's of GB of data to user's drives per day.....and that's when the app isn't even being used. Occasionally, this activity has even been measured up in the Terabyte region..... It seems that the music database is constantly being re-written. Not a problem if you have a relatively small collection, but if you have a huge collection, it could wear out, say, a Samsung EVO SSD in a matter of days. That's according to Samsung themselves.

Obviously, this doesn't do a lot for drive reliability in the long term!

Could be what's going on if you use Spotify. Worth investigating, methinks.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 January 2017 - 01:17 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:31 PM

Thank you for the replies! My computer will do the disk check when my computer restarts and thank you for informing on how to do it in elevated mode lol. Malwarebytes will be the next thing i'll remove, even though it no longer starts by itself anymore because it decided itself it no longer needed to run, when i wanted it to lol. Regarding spotify, i really did think that was the problem, but i did remove firefox and spotify and the problem persisted. When i opened microsoft edge for a test the disk usage went to 99% in around 2 seconds and nothing would work lol.

Spotify is currently up to date for me, but it's worth removing it just for testing purposes i think to see how rapidly my disk percentage explodes for no reason. Btw, my operating system is windows 10 and the scariest thing i've encountered is the fact that i can't do a backup, so i am hoping that will be resolved in the disk check can do anything. And the program may have been called HD pro, but i cannot be certain as i couldn't use disk check as i was doing it wrong.

That's the screenshot of my disk going insane, but how long can a disk check take on a 2TB HD? as i did one for 2 1/2 hours earlier and it got stuck on 10%. Is that normal? lol. I've also just removed malwarebytes and spotify.

50ff68526627422.jpg

Edited by Miguel_92, 15 January 2017 - 08:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users