Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New $300 Computer Acting Weird

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LuisWolfe

LuisWolfe

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:26 PM

As of writeing this, I just baught a brand new Windows 10 pc and its doing weird things I just cant explain. Its pounceing between useing 100% of its RAM or 100% of its Hard Disk. It never seems to use them both to 100% at any time.

It isent bothering me much, as everything seems to be running ok, but it just seems weird that its doing this. Can someone explain to me if this normal or if something is amiss that I need to look into.

Note that I havent modified it at all. Its right out of the box.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A195

A195

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:35 AM

could be windows update downloading and updating the computer, whats the specs? that could also be part of it.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:37 AM

System specs?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 LuisWolfe

LuisWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

Attached File  Capture.PNG   22.17KB   1 downloads

Heres the specs. I intend to upgrade alittle in the near future when I have the money. So if thats something I would need to do, let me know.

Ive tryed a few things to help improve the performance, like disabling certon windows features and removeing additional programs I know I dont need that came with it, but it isent doing a whole lot of any change. I dont want to piss with it too much becuse I dont exactly know what Im doing. I watched it over time and it seemed to stableize itself overtime, but not for much. Also programs tend to have a bit of lag starting up, going non-responsive and such, but eventaly start running fine. Alittle annoying, but not bothering me too bad that I feel I need to fix it.

Just on a hunch, would this be something to do with Windows 10 itself? I hurd that it can cause things like this to happen?

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

All i know is the cpu is weak on that thing and for win7 or newer id go up to 8 gigs ram, wish i could help more but i don't know win10, anyways my 2 cents worth.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

Personally, I would take it back to the place of purchase and demand a new computer. A new computer should not require you to change settings in order to perform correctly. Get a refund and look for a better computer at the same price.

The CPU is quite week having a PCmark of 891 compared to current CPUs. intel said the CPU was introduced in the first quarter of 2015.

A current AMD A10 processor introduced in the second quarter of 2015 at the about the same price point has a PC mark score of 5528 vs 891 for your CPU.

Here is a Lenovo computer for $300 with an i3-5005U processor with a PCmark of 2912 and 4GB or RAM.

Here is a HP computer for $300 with a AMD A10-9600P APU with 6GB of RAM and a PCmark of 3689

#7 LuisWolfe

LuisWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

Personally, I would take it back to the place of purchase and demand a new computer. A new computer should not require you to change settings in order to perform correctly. Get a refund and look for a better computer at the same price.

The CPU is quite week having a PCmark of 891 compared to current CPUs. intel said the CPU was introduced in the first quarter of 2015.

A current AMD A10 processor introduced in the second quarter of 2015 at the about the same price point has a PC mark score of 5528 vs 891 for your CPU.

Here is a Lenovo computer for $300 with an i3-5005U processor with a PCmark of 2912 and 4GB or RAM.

Here is a HP computer for $300 with a AMD A10-9600P APU with 6GB of RAM and a PCmark of 3689

Thanks. Much appreated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

Your Welcome, 

Hope you get a PC with better performance.

#9 LuisWolfe

LuisWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

@JohnC_21 Actualy, now that I realized it. The Dell you showed me is the exact same model with better hardware. Would it be possable to upgrade the hard drive, being its the thing causeing me the most problems, or no?

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

Should be.

I mean its not going to jump up that much higher in upgradability but will do a better job.

Its a shame that this one was causing you issues though, sure the celeron is weak but I have seen people be happy with it for a low end laptop.

But it could be some sort of bloatware there causing your issue, who knows.

Returning it for a better machine for the same price is a good idea though

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

I computers I linked to are an HP and Lenovo, not a Dell. You specs show an HP with a different processor. A hard drive upgrade will not solve the problem of a weak CPU.

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

1.6 Ghz Celeron is borderline useless for a standard multi-use computer. I have a 2.6 Ghz celery, but it is used solely for Kodi/Netflix.

Definitely return that machine. 1.6 Ghz Celeron is a big rip at that price.

#13 LuisWolfe

LuisWolfe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Ok, your right. Im just trying to get all my options here, the big one being replacement, which im hesetent to do becuse the mailing system in my town is garbage, but thats a whole can of beans in itself that I wont bring up here.

Also, just a note for Gorbulan, the reason it was highly priced is it has a 500GB Hard Drive, the only thing its got going for it.

If anything changes I'll update it here, but Im sure I got my ansers definitive. Nice to know theres people who are more about computers then I do. Thanks again.

Edited by LuisWolfe, 03 January 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:33 PM

My work laptop is a 1700mhz Intel centrino cpu "more or less a Intel p3 cpu" with 1 gig ddr400mgz dual channel ram and everything works golden in Linux mint, if your not a gamer Linux would fix the problem too, windows is a performance vampire.

Laptop like 10~15 years old and still works well with linux, still have built in 56k modem on it ^^.

As well Linux its like virus free !

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Also, just a note for Gorbulan, the reason it was highly priced is it has a 500GB Hard Drive, the only thing its got going for it.

Then it has nothing going for it. You can't even buy a 500 GB hard drive anymore. No reason to pay more for a hard drive that is like $25-$40 when bought separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users