Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo will not allow MAC Mail to connnect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

Back in October Yahoo requested that I change the security setting to a more secure setting. That was fine but ever since it will not allow the mail app on my Mac to connect.

This is not a major problem as I just use Yahoo mail directly. There were times in the past however when Yahoo mail was finicky but I could still access E mails via the Mac App.

OS is Mountain Lion, 10.8.5. I do updates when notified but cannot say as I have seen any come through in a while.

Also I assume some may wonder why I have not updated to a new OS. I use Quick Books for my business. I understand that each version of QB for MAC was designed around the OS system current at time of release and if I was to change the OS my version of QB may have problems.

Any thoughts are welcome!

Best Regards

Nawtheasta

Edited by Nawtheasta, 02 January 2017 - 09:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Did you enter the new password in the Apple Mail app after you changed it? I assume so, but you did not specifically say one way or another.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

Hi Smax013

Thanks for the response. I did not change any passwords. I changed the security setting as Yahoo advised

My Apple app still tries to sign in. This is the message in the response to the attempt:

Your account is currently not enabled to sign in from apps, that do not meet modern security standards (ex. Older versions of mail and calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign in to your Yahoo account (xxxxxxxx).

Date and Time: Mon, Jan 2, 2017 7:50 AM EST

We strongly recommend that you switch to Yahoo's apps such as Yahoo Mail on desktop and mobile and remove your account from all other less secure apps.

If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in, go to https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-apps and turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in". This is not recommended and may leave your account more vulnerable to compromise. To learn more, please visit our help page: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:31 AM

Hi Smax013
 Thanks for the response. I did not change any passwords. I changed the security setting as Yahoo advised

What security settings did you change? Did you turn on two-step verification or Account key? If so, then you need to will need to create an "app password" (you basically have to create separate passwords for specific apps). You can find instructions here:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/create-password-sln15241.html

My Apple app still tries to sign in. This is the message in the response to the attempt:

Your account is currently not enabled to sign in from apps, that do not meet modern security standards (ex. Older versions of mail and calendar apps such as Outlook). As a result, we prevented a sign in to your Yahoo account (xxxxxxxx).

Date and Time: Mon, Jan 2, 2017 7:50 AM EST
We strongly recommend that you switch to Yahoo's apps such as Yahoo Mail on desktop and mobile and remove your account from all other less secure apps.
If you still want to use an app that uses less secure sign in, go to https://login.yahoo.com/account/security#other-apps and turn on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in". This is not recommended and may leave your account more vulnerable to compromise. To learn more, please visit our help page: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html

This second part seems to imply that is just Yahoo blocking access for older version of Apple Mail. For more information, read the help page in the second link in your post. From there, Yahoo considers Apple Mail on Mac running macOS 10.9 or older to be using "older security protocols" and blocking access. You said you are running macOS 10.8.x, which would fit that "older security protocols" cutoff.

If it is this second reason, then from that help page that the second link in your post goes to, your options are to use the webpage mail access, upgrade macOS to at least 10.10.x (if you can), or switch to a third party email client that supports "modern sign-in security" (the Yahoo help page suggest newest Gmail or Outlook mobile apps, which does not help...but the latest version of Microsoft's Outlook for Mac might work or maybe Thunderbird). That help page also does offer a way to allow mail clients with older security protocols to sign in "temporarily" as well, but Yahoo specifically states that they don't recommend that...and they don't really state what "temporarily" means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users