Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Professional SP2 Repair - Help?!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bradIN03

bradIN03

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

I am running the Windows XP Professional SP2 on a piece of metalworking machinery, and the computer will no longer boot. When I go to turn it on, it goes to the black screen with white text where there are options to boot in Safe Mode, Boot with settings that worked last, and Boot Normally. No matter what option I choose, it always restarts the machine and returns to this same screen.

I was advised by a 3rd party that I would probably have to repair it with another copy of Windows XP, but before I did this, I wanted to ask a few important questions:

I no longer have the original Windows XP disk that was used to install the OS, but I do have the COA code. Also, I do not have a way to connect this computer to the internet.

Can I use any XP disk to restore it, or can I just get the SP 2 disk and restore it with that? 

Once repaired, will I have to connect it to internet to verify the COA code? Or since XP is already installed, will it just recognize the existing platform? 

I saw a post talking about streamlining SP2 into an XP .iso file. Is that a viable option?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Well...you can use a XP with SP3 disk to repair...but you cannot use a plain XP disk to repair install.

Before I assumed that I knew that a repair was worth my time/energy...I would run a hard drive diagnostic.  If the hard drive is as old as SP2 is...it may well be the problem, IMO.

Louis

#3 bradIN03

bradIN03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

How would I run a hard drive diagnostic?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Who is the manufacturer of the hard drive?

There are two main hard drive manufacturers...each provides a DOS version of the diagnostic tool which can be run on a drive that won't boot into Windows.

SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/313457-seatools-dos-windows-how-use.html

SeaTools For Dos, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584975/swap-hd-in-oem-desktop/?p=3780467

Data Lifeguard for DOS, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/596260/is-this-a-crashed-hard-drive/?p=3863303

Data Lifeguard For DOS - http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=2&lang=en

Louis

#5 bradIN03

bradIN03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

Would a recovery disk work? Also, if a recovery disk is used, would it matter that the disk has SP3 and my system has SP2?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

Any recovery disk...is not the same as a Windows install disk.  Recovery disks are prepared by the manufacturer of an OEM system, while Windows install disks are property of Microsoft.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users