Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared ip address conflicting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 joepet20002001

joepet20002001

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:15 PM

We recently switched internet providers and had to set up wireless access for all our computers and phones.  At first mainly on one computer the connection kept disconnecting and re connecting.  I looked online and found some tips.  Then it began stalling and I would get a "There is an IP address conflict with an system on the network. I looked more and else where on line and don't get the error.  But, almost all the pages stall and eventually get the server DNS address. 

Thanks in advance.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Please tell us the following:

Internet provider

Bandwidth up/down you are paying for

What wireless router you are using

What your wireless cards/in the connected devices are.

The problem sounds like you have created a ip conflict with routers gateway ip address by doing a static assignment to one of the connected devices.  This is a problem on your side of the router not the isp's side of the router.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 02 January 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#3 joepet20002001

joepet20002001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

The ip provider is sudden link.  I don't know the bandwidth.  The wireless router is a hitron.  Each connected device has it's way of connecting.  One is a net gear.  I previously tried to renewal the ip but didn't work.  

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

The problem sounds like you have created a ip conflict with routers gateway ip address by doing a static assignment to one of the connected devices.  This is a problem on your side of the router not the isp's side of the router.

Agreed, my self i setup all my internal IPs manually and if i get it wrong and setup two computers with the same ip this is the problem that happens every time and the same error message as OP is getting, i don't use DHCP my self or port 1900 UPNP for networks, think you need to do the rounds on all devices and see what using what ip wise.

#5 joepet20002001

joepet20002001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

Yes the address is being assigned by dhcp.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:44 PM

You sure the hitron is a router and not a modem? Specific make and model please.

#7 joepet20002001

joepet20002001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:23 PM

Hitron CGNM-2252 looks like this.  I have one desktop and two laptops and two i phones that connect for wifi. I used the passphase to connect.  On the hitron it says the web address is 192.168.0.1.  Don't know if this is different than the ip address.  I was using netgear to connect but am using the one the computer originally provided.  

Attached Files

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-4098

Ethernet 1-4 Connects the modem to an Ethernet equipped computer or third party device (router, Ethernet switch, etc.)

That is a wifi modem not a router.  It in itself is not the dhcp server.

https://www.shaw.ca/advanced-wifi-modem/

This looks like your package.  Call them.  Your internet is misconfigured by them.  You should be able to get 6 devices on at the same time.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 06 January 2017 - 12:54 AM.

#9 joepet20002001

joepet20002001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

Ok, so my setup is just the modem.  An ethernet cord is plugged into it and it connects to the back of the desktop computer. A cable cord is connected to the back of the modem and goes into the wall. And of course the power cord.  What do I need to call them about and ask for? Sudden Link is the provider.  We had At&t and didn't have too many problems previously.  We just used the wifi password for everything to connect different devices.  Also, as I was signing in to post the following appeared in the picture below that there was a conflict.   

Attached Files

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

Thing im wondering is with your setup if your trying to log in more then once.

I used the passphrase to connect

If you do this on every computer to connect some ISP don't like that, i know i use to have one and if i went their they would just disconnect everything if they saw a twin logon.

My self id probably just get a network switch and be done with it or a all in one modem/router/wifi/network switch device combo.

#11 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:15 AM

Not sure why I ended up at Shaw.

http://suddenlink.com/internet

Notice it says 20 devices WIRELESSLY?

I suspect the problem is your wired connection.  Simple test would be to disconnect your wired connection and connect devices wirelessly and see if you continue to get ip conflicts.

Otherwise call their technical support and explain your issue and see what they have to say.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 06 January 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#12 joepet20002001

joepet20002001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

I unplugged the ethernet cord from the back of the modem to the computer so there is no direct connection.  That is the local area connection right? As it's no longer connected in network connections.  If I pull the power cord of the modem the connection is really fast when it resets.  But, then again get "This site can't be reached and there is no internet errors on all the devices".    

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

Only pull the cord from the pc and not the modem.  Disconnecting the modem means no internet so no surprise that you had no internet.

#14 joepet20002001

joepet20002001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

I disconnected the cord from the pc and the modem and still had access.  And, I still get access but then I still get page cannot be reached and no internet access every once in a while.  I am going to call them.  

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Do you have SuddenLink Business?

Also, as per the manual, the DHCP range starts at 192.168.0.10. Can you post a screenshot of all connected devices from Basic > LAN Setup > Connected Devices(Show) button as seen on page 11 of manual.

PS. I would buy a seperate modem/router if possible. The Hitron gateways are not well liked by SuddenLink users. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users