Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 reinstalled - disks messed up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 freebird_wr

freebird_wr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hello,

Pardon if I ramble but, I'm new to this forum, having had good experiences with Windows 10 till now.  I recently had to reinstall Windows 10 on my desktop - had a bootmgr error and could never get it corrected using all the tools at my disposal.  So I created a boot disc on a USB from another computer and ended up reinstalling the OS.  Well, the reinstallation wiped my C drive and was successfully installed.  However all my files that it put back on my C drive under the Users folders now end with 2016_11_24 XX_XX_XX UTC.  Plus the partition that Windows and Users is on was created just big enough to fit those files and nothing more.  I can't reinstall any programs since there is no room. 

I have a backup copy of all the User folders and files on the F drive. How do I set everything up to have my Users folders default to the F drive and use those files instead of the files on my C drive? Thanks.

Scott

Attached is a pic of my disk mgmt. screen.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 Discussion to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

If I understand your question correctly this is how I do mine. http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds#post_16929868

(works the same for Win10)

Click on the "Optimizations after system setup" spoiler and you'll find Move user folder locations to Secondary HDD 

Source http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Before applying the above click start > settings > system > storage. Here you'll see "Save Locations" choose the F drive from the drop down menu and this creates the necessary folder/s on the new location/drive.

Use these newly created folders on the F drive as the destination when moving your "User" folders above.

Edited by sandman1374, 08 January 2017 - 12:26 AM.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users