Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is malwarebytes enough?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 3rockpeople

3rockpeople

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

I am a complete beginner, but use malwarebytes often. It almost never brings up any threats.

However, I am in a household where others also use the same network, and they don't scan their PC.

A: Is there a way to scan and find out if my PC is free of anything that would allow non-state identities to read along my activities?

B: I am willing to buy a non-expensive antivirus program for additional security, which one is the best to avoid having others read through my activities (like trojans etc)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

Which version of Malwarebytes?

Malwarebytes 3.0 combines their previous Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware programs along with malicious website protection into one product which is just called "Malwarebytes" and fully capable can be used to replace your existing anti-virus or serve as an adjunct anti-malware solution  since it lacks some constructs that a traditional anti-virus application employs.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2.2.1.1043 was the last release before Malwarebytes 3.0.

List of PUP/Adware/Toolbars/Browser Hijacking Scan Tools::

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools to supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion::

You can always supplement your anti-virus or get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.....ESET is one of the more effective online scanners

For a list of other recommended security tools (i.e. SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol) and resources, please refer to:

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

Hi:

In addition to @quietman7's always-excellent and authoritative advice, a different perspective from that of just another home user...

I am a complete beginner, but use malwarebytes often. It almost never brings up any threats.

It sounds as if you are using MBAM Free -- that is only a manual, on-demand scanner to help REMOVE malware that already made it past your AV and other defenses onto the system.
For real-time protection to help PREVENT malware infection, you need (at the bare minimum) a robust AV (free or paid), plus some sort of REAL-TIME anti-malware and (preferably) anti-exploit protection.  There are no good, free, real-time anti-malware applications.  You would need Malwarebytes Premium or an alternative program.

A: Is there a way to scan and find out if my PC is free of anything that would allow non-state identities to read along my activities?

Answer to that question is above my pay-grade.

B: I am willing to buy a non-expensive antivirus program for additional security, which one is the best to avoid having others read through my activities (like trojans etc)?

Development and support of robust security software costs $$. While everyone has different needs, preferences and budgets, the per-computer-per-day cost of a good AV works out to mere pennies.  It is certainly cheaper than the cost to recover from a major ransomware or malware infection, identity theft or other catastrophe.   Have a look at the links @quietman7 posted for more information.

As to whether Malwareybytes 3.0 is fully capable of serving as sole protection, that is certainly the company's claim (see here and here and here).

For a slightly different angle, you might want to have a read here and here and here (as well as other discussions at their forum).

The other issue is that there are now more than 23 pages of trouble reports for version 3.0 at the Malwarebytes forum since it was released a few weeks ago: performance, stability, compatibility, confusion about its true capabilities and coverage gaps, etc.

And, as least thus far, there have been no published results of outside testing comparing Malwarebytes 3.0 (especially as sole protection) against the many, real, fully-flagged AVs,  or substantiating the company's effusive claims about how it surpasses other, traditional AVs.

While it is working OK for many users, such is not the case for many others.

You might want to combine MBAM 2.2.1.1043 with MBAE (Free or Premium) alongside a robust AV (free or paid), at least until Malwarebytes 3.0 is more stable.

When it is more stable, if company claims hold up, it ought to be able to run EITHER as sole protection (if you are comfortable with that) OR alongside a real AV, for layered protection (if compatibility issues are sorted out). (The cost of BOTH Malwarebytes 3.0 AND a paid AV may be more than some users are willing or able to spend.)

Malwarebytes enjoys a sterling reputation for a long history of developing terrific, robust security products.

I have used them and supported them for many years.

Malwarebytes 3.0 holds great promise and offers many new capabilities over MBAM2.

I hope it will eventually run gracefully alongside my current security suite.

But I am not yet ready to abandon my top-rated, traditional security suites in favor of Malwarebytes 3.0 alone.

Each user must decide what works best for his/her needs.

No one security program or collection thereof can protect 100% of computers 100% of the time from 100% of malware.

The computer part between the chair and keyboard, as well as frequent & robust data and system backups/images, remain the first and last line of defense.

Cheers,

MM

{Edit -- corrected typo}

Edited by MoxieMomma, 02 January 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#4 David H. Lipman

David H. Lipman

Malware Researcher/Analyst

• Security Colleague
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Malwarebytes 3.0 combines their previous Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware programs along with malicious website protection into one product which is just called "Malwarebytes" which is fully capable of replacing your existing anti-virus.

Unfortunately, that is not true.  It is not "fully capable" as there are services in an Anti Virus that are not fulfilled by MBAM.

• It does not target scripted malware
  • It does not target document files
  • It does not target media files
  • It is still incapable of of removing malicious code that had been prepended, appended or cavity injected into legitimate files such as by a file infecting virus or by a trojan that trojanizes legitimate files ( aka; patches ).
  • It is not MAPI and/or VIM compliant nor does it offer a POP/IMAP Proxy Service.
  • It does not handle legacy malware because Malwarebytes personnel culls it database periodically and only tragets what they call Zero Day malware.  Malware that is fresh and new Today and not something that was more prevalent a year or two ago.

An anti virus may intercept email and it will then decode the MIME and scan the body and attachments and flag the email as a Phish, Fraud or some other malicious content.  MBAM may have and Anti Exploit module but that is for software exploitation.  It does NOTHING for Social Engineering which is the Human Exploit such as those demonstrated in Fraud and Phishing emails.

If one ONLY depends on MBAM they lose the warnings made by traditional anti virus applications that performs scanning the file types MBAM does not target.  They lose a layer of protection that an AV provides.  So if one has a folder of Wimad trojans and only MBAM is installed, the computer user will never know.  However if they had a fully installed Anti Virus solution performing "On Access" and "On Demand scanning on ALL file types, there would be a warning the files are malicious.  This an indicator.  MBAM will only protect one IFF they try to play a media file and it attempts some not standard media player function.  MBAM will not tell you that is a malicious HyperText Application, or that XLS uses malicious macros or that MP3 is a Wimad or that web site has an Embedded IFrame.

It is disingenuous to make a claim that MBAM 3.0 is a replacement.  It is still an adjunct anti malware application because it lacks many constructs that a traditional anti virus application employs.

Edited by David H. Lipman, 02 January 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#5 3rockpeople

3rockpeople
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

Thank you guys (and woman?) for the replies.

Since I am currently not able to go and read through loads of reviews and do my research, I would like a recommendation for a reasonably priced AV. I do not hold a lot of money so I don't need the BEST protection, but odds-wise I need one that is expected to work best for its price. It's more just my activity that I am concerned with.

On a related note, let's say I do have an AV, but the other users on my network don't, will I get infected if they do?

And in the past they said trojans can't be detected by scanners, is this still the case? I don't know what spywares etc. are, but I am basically talking about the whole list of things. Just looking for a general good AV. Thanks!

#6 David H. Lipman

David H. Lipman

Malware Researcher/Analyst

• Security Colleague
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

All user on a network should be protected by an AV solution.  A network is like a chain of interconnecting computing devices.  A system that is not protected become the weak link in that chain. 

"On a related note, let's say I do have an AV, but the other users on my network don't, will I get infected if they do?"

That;s a loaded question.  if you have anti malware protection and they don't you have a greater propensity to mitigate getting infected by a peer.

"And in the past they said trojans can't be detected by scanners, is this still the case?"

That's an unqualified, and mostly generic, question that can't be answered without specific.  Such as the exact quote, the circumstances and its associated context.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Malwarebytes 3.0 combines their previous Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware programs along with malicious website protection into one product which is just called "Malwarebytes" which is fully capable of replacing your existing anti-virus.

Unfortunately, that is not true.  It is not "fully capable" as there are services in an Anti Virus that are not fulfilled by MBAM.
....It is disingenuous to make a claim that MBAM 3.0 is a replacement.  It is still an adjunct anti malware application because it lacks many constructs that an anti virus application employs.

Thanks Dave. That was the impression I got that from the Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement topic which indicated it was capable of replacing your existing anti-virus. I don't recall reading anything which stated it was an adjunct anti malware application but your explanation makes more sense than some of the other info I have read..

I will update my notes accordingly.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hi:

Alas, no one can suggest what might be "best" or "right" or "good" for another user.

100 users will have at least 101 passionate opinions.

There are many fine options, but none is perfect.
What works well one one system might cripple another.
That's why @quietman7 took the time to compile his authoritative articles.

Each user must decide what works best for his/her computer, computing practices, risk tolerance, and budget.

The time spent to research and read will be well-spent, even as it seem daunting at first.

I currently use the following:
Win7/64 desktop and Win10/64 desktop: KIS + MBAM2 Premium + MBAE Premium
Win7/64 laptop: Sophos Endpoint Security + MBAM2 Premium + MBAE Premium

I hope that current performance, stability and compatibility issues for Malwarebytes 3.0 with KIS (here and here, among others) will be resolved by the time Malwarebytes drops support for MBAM2 in a few months.  I would like very much to continue a layered approach with Malwarebytes 3.0 alongside a real AV - this has worked well keeping me safe for many years.

If problems persist or unfavorable test results are published, however, I will need to look at other options.

Please be aware that no one security application or combination of applications can protect all computers all the time from all malware.
As has already been mentioned, the practice of "safe hex" and of keeping frequent and full data backups + system images is the mainstay of safe computing these days.

>>If you are comfortable with Malwarebytes 3.0 for your own system now (with or without a real AV), then by all means do not hesitate to select it.  The choice is yours.<<

Cheers,
MM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users