Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to ressurrect more old junk.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 timmeh2

timmeh2

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Have retrieved an old two port USB "card" from a circa '98 desktop computer.

The "card" slots into the case where a PCI/ISA would but does not connect to the motherboard via PCI/ISA connection.

Connection is to USB header.

Donor computer has 10 pin USB header. Numbered 1-5 for the 5 pin row(pin 5 NC), 6-10 for the 4 pin row, with 10 position being vacant(no pin/key).

Marked on motherboard(ASUS VX97) like so.

1               5

*   *   *   *   *

*   *   *   *

6               10

Plug/pin layout on receiver computer(circa '08) is the same, numbering sequence differs thus, assuming that it takes the "sawtooth" pattern.

Marked on motherboard(G/Byte DG31PR).                                                  Assumed pattern.

2   4   6  8  10

*   *   *   *   *                                                                                                     *   *   *   *   *

*   *   *   *                                                                                                         *   *   *   *

1                                                                                                                     1   3   5  7   9

Have two headers on the receiver computer, both of which are known to work... already have two front USB ports which uses one of the headers and has been tested on both.

Known wiring colours are

Donor/ASUS/USB component plug.                                           Receiver/G-byte/working front USB port plug.

Red 6  *       * 1(covered, assuming black)                                              Red 1  *       *  2 Black

White 7  *       * 2 Green                                                                         Yellow 3  *       *  4 Green

Green 8  *       * 3 White                                                                             Blue 5  *       *  6 White

covered  9  *       * 4 Red                                                                           Orange 7  *       *  8 covered(assume red)

Can anyone see any reason why this would not show up in device manager at all?

Edited by timmeh2, 02 January 2017 - 03:09 PM.

Where does this goBANG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

^^ nice socket 7 mobo, btw i own this http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/reviews/mb/p5a/p5a.htm

Sadly i never did get my hands on a AMD K6 III+ 450mgz socket 7 cpu, love old junk !

This should be fun.

Btw you trying to do a lan with USB or something ?

As well not everything is plug&play back then, you have to scan for hardware to detect it if your in win98.

#3 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Just trying to make use of the extra USB ports. Unfortunately there are no numbers or names on the component to help ID.

All it is, is two USB ports mounted to a plate that slots in at the rear of the case/tower. From behind the ports, one round lead from each to an eight pin plug. 2 rows of 4, that located on a 9/10 pin motherboard header, which for all intents and purposes, looks identical to the header on the Gigabyte motherboard apart from the pin numbering sequence.

I was expecting issues locating drivers due to not knowing make/model. Not expecting that it would not register in device manager at all.

Tried Add Hardware Wizard, nothing registers.

Where does this goBANG

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

Hemmmm  i use to do a lot of this back in the day but not meny come to me anymore with hardware that vintage, as for hunting down drivers i can do it just with the part numbers on the chips or any number you find anyware on the hardware in question.

If you could post some/all the part numbers from the diffent things your trying to setup i could hunt down some drivers and or info on the topic for you.

The motherbord is a what btw ? if theirs no name then just list random part numbers you find on the board.

If i lucky i could dig up a maual for the thing.

On older hardware it might be a jumper to enable things or a bios setting or both, and theirs a way to scan for non plug&play hardware in windows 95~98, its not a wizard or anything.

As well what version of windows are you using ?

#5 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

I'm attaching the component to the Gigabyte DG31PR(has one jumper, CMOS reset), Running Vista SP2. 

It's the USB port doohickey that has no markings at all.

A few years back, i had a 5 port USB PCI card and i had misplaced the software disc for it, plugged it into DG31PR m/board and in a few minutes all was operational.

System recognised that there was new hardware, prompted what to do and where to go, less than 5 min's from plugging in the card, done and dusted and fully operational.

With this one, the system doesn't even see "unknown device".

Looks like this...Attached File  USBhub.jpg   3.77KB   0 downloads

Edited by timmeh2, 02 January 2017 - 10:09 PM.

Where does this goBANG

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

Ah ok i understand now what your trying to do, was thinking you were trying at first to get a old socket 7 board up and running with usb / win98 or something for some retro gaming.

Think to be shore we know what were doing we would need the pin-out for both motherboards as well if i remember right from what i can see in the newer mobo manual its a usb2.0 connector and for that you need a usb connector/cable made for usb2.0 if not it wont work, usb 2 needs higher quality wire then the first version of usb from what i remember, you might be able to force it in to 1.0 mode in the bios.

Btw not getting internet hits on a Gigabyte DG31PR, i am though on a Intel DG31PR this your board ?

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/15064/eng/DG31PR_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

If so the full pin-out is in the manual "page 45"

don't know if anything was standardized back then when it came to usb.

As well when you go to device manager in vista douse your usb hubs show up in the driver list ?

Not seeing USB anything on the other mobo "ASUS VX97"

https://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse410/04sp/misc/vx97-102.pdf

Edited by shadow_647, 03 January 2017 - 01:31 AM.

#7 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:07 PM

My apologies, yes it is an Intel DG31PR m/board. Page 45, in first link shows pinout i've attempted to describe in first post(second and third oddball drawing). Can't edit to improve it now.

For the ASUS VX97, see page 10 in your second link, to see header connector position, top/centre(rear edge of board). Pinout described in first oddball drawing, in first post.

I couldn't see anything regarding USB in that manual either. I'm unsure as to whether the USB ports came with the computer when purchased or were installed later.

OK, so it could be a compatibility issue between USB 1.0 and 2.0, not necessarily a wiring position issue?

My existing USB ports/hubs show in device manager{4 rear, built in to m/board(2 pairs). 2 front, connected to one of the 2 headers.}, but this pair doesn't.

Where does this goBANG

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:16 AM

For the ASUS VX97, see page 10 in your second link, to see header connector position, top/centre(rear edge of board). Pinout described in first oddball drawing, in first post.

I couldn't see anything regarding USB in that manual either. I'm unsure as to whether the USB ports came with the computer when purchased or were installed later.

I see it now, funny it did have a USB connector but i looked at all the bios info too in the manual and theirs no way to enabled the usb or any info in the manual about usb, its like they just put a connector on the board for usb and never enabled it or something.

Only thing that manual has to say about the usb connector is "reserved"

OK, so it could be a compatibility issue between USB 1.0 and 2.0, not necessarily a wiring position issue?

Could be both.

My existing USB ports/hubs show in device manager{4 rear, built in to m/board(2 pairs). 2 front, connected to one of the 2 headers.}, but this pair doesn't.

Well that good news, but i think seeing as we have the pin out for your Intel board the only why were ever going to be shore the wiring is good is to do it the hard way meaning.

479px-YX360TRF%28Sanwa%29.JPG

Check the wiring the hard way, just plugging the thing in then plugging a usb anything in could brake the motherboards usb or the device or both or 100% brick the motherboard, really don't know if the wiring is standardized when it comes to usb and what year was that add on made, no one knows, more then that i don't know what to say besides saying that you could probably go to a used computer parts place and get a replacement usb part like the one your messing with for cheap if it doesn't work out for more usb or a add on usb card.

#9 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

There's a thought, i have a mutimeter around somewhere.

I've tried a flashdrive on both ports, with the cable connected to both headers. Front ports and flashdrive still work on either header, so i think everything is still OK.

The plug/connector on this USB thing (8 pin, does not utilise the 9/10 key/pin at all) has also been tried both ways, didn't help or hurt.

Will check with multimeter when i get a chance and post results.

Edited by timmeh2, 04 January 2017 - 09:27 AM.

Where does this goBANG

#10 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:51 AM

Finally got around to testing with a multimeter, resistance values are good and 0.

#1 ASUS VX97 board it was originally attached to. (Don't know whether it came with the machine, or was installed later)

#2 the header. (VX97)

#3,4,5,6 top and bottom views of both ends.

#7,8 INTEL DG31PR I'm trying to connect to. (Running Vista + W10)

#9 Header on G/BYTE GA-6VX7-4X-AP I've also tried. (Running W98se, tricked out with as much fruit as I can find)

EDIT: Gave it a try in the G?BYTE GA-6VX7-4X-AP ("Rebuilding an old computer"), Lo and Behold!!! it works. Positive it didn't last time I tried it. Maybe the F4 BIOS update finally did the trick?

Problem is the cables are too short to reach from back of case to front of m/board. Hence the reason behind fitting it to the DG31PR based unit.

Attached Files

Edited by timmeh2, 28 September 2017 - 11:32 PM.

Where does this goBANG

#11 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Finally narrowed it down, the two sets of wires on the header plug for this USB "card" are opposite to each other, i.e. power for one is at one end and power for the second is at the other end.

The wiring colours for the original front ports suggest that the wiring layout is the same, due to same colour/order on the top row.

Older one is black/gnd, green/d+, white/d- and red/v. Pretty standard stuff almost everywhere I looked.

Newer one is black/v,    green/d-, white/d+ and red/gnd. WTH.

So looks like I'll have to switch the wires in the top row of the old plug("bottom" row is correct, tested every plug with the multimeter. Old and new to find out what went where) to make it work, one thing that still has me stumped, why didn't the lower one with correct wiring sequence work.

Lucky, I haven't blown anything yet.

Edited by timmeh2, 08 October 2017 - 07:25 AM.

Where does this goBANG

#12 timmeh2

timmeh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:05 AM

Success, reversed "top" row of wires in the header plug. All up and running.

Both plugs working as they should...   Now solved.

Where does this goBANG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users