Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver crashes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Flashfreeze

Flashfreeze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

So, i'm having some problems.

At seemingly random times the screen goes black, in fact the light on the screen's on-off button goes orange (as if in standby) after which the screen returns to normal again a few seconds later, and there is an error message saying that the Nvidia drivers crashed.

It seems (i'm not certain) to fluctuate, some days it happens several times, some days not at all. It seems also to be dependent on what programs i run.

The sound is normal, but if i pause a video, turn sound off, then on and unpause it again the sound will be higher by about 25%
At two occasions when i played a certain game, the sound suddenly gradually turned itself up, and i had to turn the sound off because it was so loud.

This sound issue isn't really a huge problem, a slight inconvenience, but possibly related to other issues.

Another issue is a little more serious, on a few rare occasions the screen and the sound randomly freezes and there's nothing to do but to shut down and start up again.

I seem to be able to play certain games without anything weird happening, not just older games, but newer ones aswell.

At one point a while ago, before i had these problems, i tried many times to play Gears of War, which ran absolutely terribly, until i realized that the Nvidia drivers apparently had uninstalled themselves, so i installed them again. But maybe this was when it started.

Further back, when i reinstalled windows i used drivers from the Alienware disc i got with the computer.
When i got the computer, drivers were already installed, and i must confess i don't actually know what a chipset is and which one i need to use and so on. This might be the issue, although i feel like it might have started for some other reason.
I have used registry cleaners and such, i don't know if they could have discarded some registry key.
I used Windows repair to hopefully deal with the problem, it detected one or two disk errors or file system errors that could not be fixed.

Is there anyone who would like to guess how these crashes could have started, and what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

The behavior that you describe appears to be similar to a STOP 0x117 crash (where the video driver stops responding, and then recovers).   As such, I'd start with this suggested troubleshooting procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/VideoTDR.html

If that doesn't fix things, then please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users