Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unaccessible Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rip1212

Rip1212

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:27 AM

Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components???

I have been running my system for some time.
Running XP Pro sp1
I have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2
2 Gb Ram
AMD 2700
Running 8 hard drive
520W ATX power
All in wonder vid card

With no wornning that I saw. Suddenly I couldn’t open one of my drives. Instead I got “Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components” I could not find anything refiring to anything I could install. I checked add hardware. I tried to reinstall the drivers for the hard drive. XP said all was ok. I was only able to access the drive by way of the administrative tools to open it. Not wanting to lose the files on the drive I added an other drive formatted it and transferred the files to the new drive. I del. the old volume and reformatted and retransferred the files back to the old drive. All was working fine for a bout 5 min. I had to reboot and now I couldn’t access the old drive again and to boot the new drive is no longer accessible with the same error message. Both drives are WD one is 120g with now 91g of files the other is a 250 with 2 equally divide drives. One has the 91g and other has 40g. The other drive on the 2 drive disk seems ok. Go figure !! Both disks are less then a year old. I know they could go in the first week. I doubt in this way?? I have been working on this PC most of the day and I’m getting ready to sharpen the ax. It is now 1am and I am going to bed and get a new start later today. If anyone has come across this befor I could use a new prospective. Thanks

Above all have fun

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 03:13 AM

This happens if there is a file named Autorun.inf in the drive's root directory. Right-click the drive and choose "open", look for this file Autorun.inf and delete it. Restart Windows.

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the first error message is displayed:

[autorun]
open=Setup.exe

C:\Windows\System32\Setup.exe is launched actually

If the Autorun.inf line reads the following, the second error message is displayed:

[autorun]
open=Filename.exe

(where the filename.exe file is missing)

The file Autorun.inf is not intended to be on the hard drive root folder. They are used in CD-ROMs (to launch CD programs automatically).

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#3 Rip1212

Rip1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:18 AM

You are the MAN!!

How ever did you come across this info?

No matter how smart you think you are there is so much you can learn. I would have been working on this for years and not come up with that one. If helping an other makes your day well you earned your spurs today... Thank You With 2 del.s and all is well. Thank You

Above all have fun

#4 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

Just so you know, I typed in your exact first line into google and clicked on the very fist entry.

"Please go to the Control Panel to install and configure system components"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=P...G=Google+Search

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#5 Rip1212

Rip1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:21 PM

I'm glad I'm not a lone. A person much wiser then I, I think, said The trick isn't to know everything it's to know were to look for everything. I also think you taught me that I should google before I get involved with an all day trek into oblivion. Thank You again. I check out you home "monkeyspine.net" I like your database and it will be one of the places I will check first. Thank You

Above all have fun

#6 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

you are most definitely not alone. :D Thanks for the interest in the spine's database. It is very tiny right now, but soon it will be a resource which I will personally consult when answering questions on other forums.

Cheers!
Iqchicken

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users