Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh windows 7 install cannot update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wachumba

wachumba

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:10 AM

Just wiped hardrive clean and installed windows 7 and now can't update. Printer nor bluetooth adapter won't install. Tried following instructions on a few other posts where windows won't update and nothing seems to be working. 
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:36 AM

Hi:

EDIT: I wonder if the printer and bluetooth issues stem from the fact that you are missing critical, prerequisite Windows patches?

I suggest following this exact sequence, exactly as listed.

It contains what may be a few extra steps for some users (such as disconnecting from the internet), but it has proved to be reliably successful for me and for many, many other users. 

It should only take a few minutes and a couple of reboots.

On a fresh Win7 installation, you may need to first activate Windows and to install the standalone version of IE11 via the offline installer, in order for this to work:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3125574, KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (scroll down to "Windows Update", RIGHT-click > "properties" > change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3125574 and reboot.
  6. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  7. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  8. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  9. Reconnect to internet.
  10. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  11. Run a manual check for updates.

These patches help to fix issues with WU client.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone (offline) installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be turned off first, in order to be able to install those standalone patches.

>>> If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.<<<

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

P.S. The tutorial suggested above was devised and implemented BEFORE MS changed their Win7 servicing model to monthly "rollups".  I do not have a means to test the theory that installing the standalone October 2016, November 2016 and/or December 2016 "Security+Quality" rollup will also fix the issue with WU client.

EDIT: Links changed to the MS Update catalog links, instead of the KB article links.

Edited by MoxieMomma, 02 January 2017 - 03:08 AM.

#3 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:59 AM

are you sure the standalone installers are correct? I'm having trouble finding the download for those when i click those links. It takes me to a confusing page.

I found this link -https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows.aspx are these more in line with what I need? 

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

Hi:

Those links to the KBs all work for me.

You'll need to actually download the offline installers from the newly reconfigured MS Update Catalog.

Be sure to select the version for each one that is appropriate for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).

HTH,

MM

#5 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:06 AM

ok nevermind! I found them here gonna go through the steps now http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3172605%20

#6 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:11 AM

I tried running **74 and I got the message "The update is not applicable to your computer"

I downloaded the 64 bit, and I have a 64 bit operating system. 

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:17 AM

Hi:

EDIT: Be sure to d/l the version for Win7, not for Server 2008

Then skip 3125574 and do the other two.

You did not say: have you activated Windows and have you installed IE11?

Also, to be clear, these patches are just to get WU client up and working so that you can download and install the other needed updates.

IOW, when you get these installed, there will be more work to do.

(It's possible that, with the new Win7 servicing model, you may be able to skip the ~200 or so patches that will be offered, by going right to the Oct 2016, Nov 2016 and/or Dec 2016 "Security+Quality Rollups".  I do not have a means to test that theory, as was suggested by some.  However, if it works, it will definitely save some time.)

HTH,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 02 January 2017 - 03:19 AM.

#8 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:25 AM

all three updates give the same message.

activated windows? Do you mean enter the serial number/key on the windows cd- yes.

I have installed IE11. 

Looking at the win7 servicing model page now thanks

#9 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:34 AM

all three updates give the same message.

Sorry, I have no idea and I cannot reproduce the error on my system.
This approach worked for me on 2 Win7 boxes and for many, many other folks here and at another forum and elsewhere (IOW I did not dream this up myself). :wink:
See the many links in this post.

activated windows? Do you mean enter the serial number/key on the windows cd- yes.

I have installed IE11.

OK, good.

Looking at the win7 servicing model page now thanks

I do not think you will be able to install the Rollups, either, if WU is not working.
I had a feeling it would be confusing even to mention that.
The point is that the Rollups *should* replace many of the 200 or so patches needed after a fresh Win7 install, once you get WU working.
But, if WU is not working, then you probably cannot update to get the rollups, either.

IOW, the sequence is to install 3125574, 3020369 and 3172605 to get the WU client working; THEN one would check for updates and either install the ~200 available patches OR (if it works to do so) the Rollup(s).

Sorry, but I am out of ideas and it's way past my bedtime.
I know that what I posted worked for me (twice) and for many other folks.
We'll need to wait for someone else more expert to assist you.

Sorry I could not help,
MM

#10 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

OK I got the second two updates to work from your links! Thanks for trying

I ran through your instructions again, but i'm stuck here now- 

1. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  2. Reconnect to internet.
  3. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  4. Run a manual check for updates.

After I click notify me, but let me choose, it searches for updates automatically..

Nevermind something worked it found updates and 195 important updates :) thanks have a great night!@!!

#11 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

Hi:

That is excellent news.

I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Re: the ~200 patches --

• I would NOT try to do all of them at once -- I would do them in groups of no more than ~10 at a time
  • I suggest prioritizing them in relative chronological order (as judged by the KB numbers and/or release date):
    • Critical Windows security patches
    • Important Windows security patches
    • Critical/important MS Office security patches (if you have MS Office)
    • Critical and important .NET Framework patches
    • Other, important/recommended "Stability" patches
    • LAST, and only if applicable to your system: "optional" patches (you will need to research each one to see if it applies to your system)

Be sure to be VERY, VERY patient installing the updates and to reboot when prompted.

The .NET patches, in particular, can take some time.

Do NOT use the computer for anything else during the update process.

If it is a laptop, be sure you are on AC power.

When you think you have them all, run another manual update check to be sure.

Good luck,

MM

P.S. I don't know why you are having trouble changing the WU settings -- are you logged in via a Windows user account with Admin privileges?  It should be a matter of choosing the correct option from the available drop-down menu in the WU window.

#12 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:38 AM

ok 99% done here! updates downloaded overnight and took about 15 mins to install. Everything is up to date. 

I have a bluetooth adaptor that the drivers won't update for some reason. It won't update automatically, and I can't find the drivers for it. Any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

What makes you think that the drivers should be updated?

Louis

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Hi, again:

EDIT: Yes, I agree with @hamluis -- see below....

That's excellent news.  Great job!

There are different schools of thought about when/where to update drivers. 

Most folks probably agree that Windows Update is not the preferred means to get them. 

The versions offered from MS via WU are not always the best for an individual system.

And if the BT adapter is working with the current driver, you may not "need" to update it, at all.

Is this an OEM (aka "name brand" computer, such as Dell, HP, ASUS, Toshiba, Acer, etc.)?

If YES, then the best place to get drivers for hardware/peripherals will be at the OEM's own drivers/downloads page, using the unique Service Tag or similar identification number for that particular system.

The OEMs test drivers in their environment and on their mobos/hardware before publishing them.

If NO (and this is a DIY build), then you may need to go out to the BT device manufacturer's website for their drivers.  Bear in mind that the "latest" version may not be the most stable on your platform/system.

Having said that, I suggest starting a new, separate post in the Internal Hardware section of the forum for more specific, more expert help with the BT driver.

Also: now that you have spent all this time reinstalling and patching Windows, please be sure you have (at a bare minimum) a robust, up-to-date anti-virus.  There are many free and paid alternatives.  It would be a major bummer if your newly rebuilt system were to become infected.  THIS PINNED TOPIC contains a wealth of helpful, expert advice.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 02 January 2017 - 09:53 AM.

#15 wachumba

wachumba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

I found them here. http://plugable.com/products/usb-bt4le#drivers

"What makes you think that the drivers should be updated?"

Bc windows said so! When I plugged the usb in, a system message popped up saying there was a problem installing the device, and windows attempted to update drivers. 

I'll download an antivirus now:) Thanks again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users