Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cinnamon or xfce desktop

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

At present I am running cinnamon....and have never experimented with anything else.

I read good things about xfce.....and am tempted to give it a go

What can i expect ?....do i simply go to software manager and install the xfce4 from there ?....how do I "swap" between the two desktops??

Do I lose anything when/if I swap..?

What are the drawbacks ??

I have found this in software manager...

3160v8n.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

do i simply go to software manager and install the xfce4 from there ?....how do I "swap" between the two desktops??

You can do that, but, Different desktop environments can interfere with each other. IMO you would be better off installing Linux Mint XFCE next to Cinnamon.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:04 AM

XFCE is for the most part a decent desktop.
It offers lower memory consumption than most desktops and is very good for a lot of low spec hardware.

However there are caveats.
Such as XFCE not really having compositing effects, it sort of exists but if you like some of the fancy effects of Cinnamon they will be absent.
Plus thunar the file manager for XFCE lacks integrated file search and other file managers really dont play nice with it.
I personally never cared too much for XFCE, I always found it lacking compared to other offerings on linux.
For a mint user I actually suggest MATE more than XFCE as its much like XFCE in being more lightweight but none of the compromises.
The Marco compositor (along with Compton) is quite impressive compared to that of XFCE, not as fancy as cinnamon but still feeling more modern.

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 January 2017 - 01:05 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

For what it is worth (as I run all of them), I agree with both of my colleagues above.

MATE is great, and its File Manager, Caja, is far more versatile than Thunar in Xfce.

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW Brian, I would actually rank KDE over Xfce, although not as light on resources. KDE is far more customisable than any of the others, Dolphin File Manager is good, and yes you can get rid of the bouncy-bouncy thingies if they drive you crackers, lol

Edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 02 January 2017 - 01:31 AM.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,360 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:01 AM

Brian if you have the hard drive space create a few partitions and install other distros along side, Im sure Wizard will help you there, This way you dont mess up your main OS..

I experimented with adding Desktop Environments to Ubuntu and ended up with 2 or 3 versions of software and software managers ETC and it caused nothing but head aches, Even uninstalling  the DE's didn't fix all the problems in the end I formated and reinstalled.

I cant believe I'm saying this. Wizard take over and guide him.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:14 AM

I cant believe I'm saying this. Wizard take over and guide him

I can

As I recollect, the OP has msdos/mbr setup, is that so?

I currently run entirely on gpt, but I can exercise my memory, if needed.

:wizardball: Wiz

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:02 AM

:hysterical: ....I am just loving this..!!......

Sorry for the delay...nothing comes between me and a Roast Leg of lamb with sweet potato, potato, pumpkin, and gravy

Yes....that is so !

23tgo79.jpg

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:44 AM

Xfce is a very light desktop, though to be honest, MATE uses hardly no more resources & loaded with much more software, requires no more space. Also very little difference in ISO size. :)

The only reason why I'd see that one would want Xfce over Cinnamon (or MATE, which is a closer comparison), is to have a minimal desktop, just what's needed, and no more. One can add packages as needed/desired. And Xfce boots very fast, even on low spec hardware, such as the many dual core Pentiums & Celerons that shipped with Windows 7. On these, the system will run better than new, because these are no longer weighed down with garbage that should mandate a quad core i7 be installed. :lol:

These are the majority of the folks I've managed to get to make the Linux leap, those with computers built between 2009 & 2011 (many 1st gen 'i' series CPU's in there). The install of Mint Xfce or MATE (performance wise) would be the equivalent of upgrading from one of these low spec CPU's to say an i7-626/640M & keeping what they have. Of course, I don't mind performing upgrades, that's part of my upgrade cash, yet I don't see the need to spend $40 for a CPU from a reliable source, especially after my labor is figured in ($125 total), on a notebook that they may never get that much for if sold. I advise them to purchase a low cost SSD (if affordable), and at no cost, will perform most any Linux install. 

I'll carry 4 different flavors of Linux with me, LM Xfce, MATE & Cinnamon, and Ubuntu 16.04 for those who likes the modern UI. Most goes with Xfce or MATE. 

On the other hand, I've read more articles than I can count on how Linux Mint Cinnamon is the drop in fit for Windows 7 users, because it has very nice themes, that 'Aero' or glassy look w/out using too many resources, and overall is rapidly becoming Linux Mint's #1 distro. And I expect more to make the leap as EOL for W7 nears. 

So it's a matter of personal preference, having a very attractive desktop (as you know) or a minimal one to build upon. Cinnamon can be added to much any distro, though have never tried with Xfce, on the other hand, unless one has nothing except time on their hands, experiment away & see which is the best. :)

I really don't believe that Xfce gets the credit it deserves though, and one reason why I carry it with me for a demo when one wants to try Linux on their computer. It's always, unless a specific one is already chosen, the first one that I test out, mainly to get a feel of their hardware for myself to see which others are a waste of time to fool with. Still, my best success is with MATE, followed by Xfce, and Cinnamon. Have installed less than 5 Ubuntu OS's for others since Unity became baked in, before then, was installing a few of these, which was my first taste of Linux. Back in the days when Canonical shipped the CD's for free. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:53 AM

My Specs....(sudo lshw)

Spoiler

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

OK, so your screenshot is from Accessories - Disks, and you have three (3) distinct drives, the SSD and the two other HDDs.

You have a virtual Windows running, I expect that is on the SSD? ... which is running Linux 18.06 'Sarah' Cinnamon, and on that there is an extended partition housing your Swap.

I can get a better picture of your status with screenshots from GParted. If you don't already have it installed on LM, you can get it through

sudo apt-get -y install gparted

or through your Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager. Or else you may have a Live version on USB or CD it's only a couple of hundred megabytes.

If you can provide screenshots of all three drives, we can work from there.

Also to consider is -

If you consider eg MATE, then you might want to expand on the Topic subject matter, ask a Mod to change to eg "Alternative Linux Mint Desktop environments".

LMDE - Linux Mint Debian Edition, is a possibility, but it takes a learning curve, and you are without the use of ppa's (Personal Package Archives) to add to your repositories, albeit you can use .deb's and tar.xx to install as well.

See what you think, I am off to chow down, and c u 2morrow.

:wizardball: Wizard

... BTW just got the lshw output will digest later

edited - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 02 January 2017 - 03:56 AM.

#11 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

At present I am running cinnamon....and have never experimented with anything else.

I read good things about xfce.....and am tempted to give it a go

What can i expect ?....do i simply go to software manager and install the xfce4 from there ?....how do I "swap" between the two desktops??

Do I lose anything when/if I swap..?

How strange .... I was thinking exactly the same and installed xfce4 a few days ago .

I played with it for a while , then decided to uninstall it , but the odd thing is it still appears as an option on the login screen ( see photo )

You can maybe see the cursor position .

Sorry about the poor image quality .... I had to use a phone .

Of course , now I wonder if it was there all along , as an alternate DT login :)

Attached File  Mint Login.jpg   47.35KB   0 downloads

Could I ask a favor of anyone using Mint Rosa ?

Could someone check their login screen to see if that xfce option is there by default .

Edited by synaptic, 02 January 2017 - 03:58 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

synaptic, that's interesting, when I tried LM 17.3 (Rosa) Cinnamon a few months back, didn't have that option, would had recalled if so. :)

Is yours 32 bit?

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

from GParted.....in order, sda,sdb,sdc

SDA

2j5dnat.jpg

SDB

2ppy2wx.jpg

SDC

2zrjkpd.jpg

I would like (if possible) to give both KDE and XFCE a run.

Might make sense to run through one with you and then try the other on my own...?

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,704 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

I have run linux mint 17.3 Mate, (as well as cinnamon)...and it did nothing for me.

Like Cat, I have no memory of that option being present.....I would remember if it was because I was interested to try xfce back then.

My system was 64 bit

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,986 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:24 AM

I would like (if possible) to give both KDE and XFCE a run.

If you love eye candy, then KDE is a great desktop! :thumbup2:

Just takes some time getting used to the bouncing effects, some things will 'bunny hop' a bit. That's one that I no longer carry with me, because no one wanted it. Note that not all KDE based desktops are like this, example, PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu also has one similar to LM KDE, which is released about a couple of months before the LM version (same with Xfce), their names are Kubuntu & Xubuntu. Not a lot of difference in LM KDE & Kubuntu, though there's more of a difference between LM Xfce & Xubuntu (unattractive desktop beginning with splash screen). Canonical could do a lot better with Xubuntu than they do. 

I believe that if you've ran Linux Mint for some time, you'll prefer their versions over the Ubuntu ones. :)

EDIT 01/03: Corrected typo. typed 'link' rather than like near end of first line in paragraph. Sorry for any confusion. :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 03 January 2017 - 02:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users