Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM leak in non-paged pool, can't figure out which driver is the cause

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tathar

Tathar

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

I'm finding that I have to restart my computer fairly often ever since upgrading to Windows 10, due to a memory leak in the non-paged pool.  After doing research and running poolmon -b, I found that the problem tag is RtlW, but so many drivers use that tag that I can't see the full list with findstr to find and fix the cause.  I'm at a roadblock and need some assistance.  What should I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:34 AM

When does it happen?

I'm asking because of things like this

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2186507/solved-physical-memory-huge-paged-pool.html

and this with the Killer Network Driver

https://bluebluewave.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/memory-leak-in-windows-8-1-with-killer-e2200-and-windows-network-data-usage-monitoring/

#3 Tathar

Tathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:02 AM

That's one problem.  I have so much RAM (32 GB) that it's hard to tell when it starts.  I do tend to notice it when I'm playing video games for extended periods of time, but closing and reopening the games does not clear up the memory.  At that point the memory leak is about 29 GB in size.

EDIT: I just ran poolmon again after a restart and a few hours of idling, and RtlW is leaking about 1 GB already.  

Edited by Tathar, 02 January 2017 - 05:16 AM.

#4 Tathar

Tathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:34 PM

We're at a 3.5 GB leak now and all I've done since the restart was web browsing and playing a video game for a couple hours.  

#5 Tathar

Tathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:03 PM

More idle time, and we're now at 6.75 GB.  Leak definitely seems to happen on its own with time.  

#6 Tathar

Tathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

The memory usage somehow shrank during today's idle time to about 550 MB, so I don't know what to make of this.

#7 Tathar

Tathar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

I'm still having this issue, and I'm completely stumped as to what to do next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users