Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 BSOD (I need help!)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spazzumz

Spazzumz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

Hey guys.

I just need some help with this. I started up my computer this morning and restarted it. This lead to a BSOD. No matter what I do, my computer BSOD's. As seen in the photos, it says my PC didn't start up correctly. Whenever I try to do a startup repair or a restart, it doesn't work. I don't want to refresh or reset my computer, either. Any help?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been very busy lately.

Start with these free, bootable hardware diagnotics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If the system came with W8 (which means it boots using UEFI and not BIOS), then you'll have to:
- use MemTest86 and NOT MemTest86+ to boot to testable media

- will have to change settings in the BIOS to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy/CSM mode in order to boot to the hard drive diagnostics.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Spazzumz

Spazzumz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:08 AM

Ya see, this thing is I can't do that. I can't get out of this screen. Any other help?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:31 AM

When you reboot, before the system gets to those screens, you should be able to access the BIOS/UEFI and tell the system to boot from other devices.

Also, one of the options (buried under the Advanced options) is to boot from another device.

Booting from another device (such as the CD/DVD or a USB drive) will allow you to run bootable diagnostics.

What make and model is your system?

What version of Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10) did it come with?

If it's a home built system, what is the make and model of the motherboard, and when did you purchase it?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Spazzumz

Spazzumz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

It's a windows 8 HP computer. I have no disks or usbs where I can boot from.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

On most HP's you can tap the Esc key during the boot in order to get to the boot menu.

Then, tapping F2 should get you to the built in HP diagnostics.  Run them.

Then, if they all pass (or you can't get to them), tapping the F11 key during the boot should help you to get to the recovery partition.

Then you should be able to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

You will lose everything by doing that.

This presumes that there's no hardware problems (since you can't do the diagnostics)

Beyond that, if you can't do that, then I'd suggest taking it to a shop.

Get an estimate first, but they may be able to do what you want with a minimum of fuss.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 11 January 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#7 Spazzumz

Spazzumz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

So uh, I don't want to do that. My family and I have important files and documents that we absolutely cannot remove. I think I should just bring it in to a shop then. Thanks anyway.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:51 AM

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users