Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local only connection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ColinK

ColinK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hello,
Wondered if anyone could help me. My Desktop computer is an Advent and is running Vista 32 bit I have played with her a little in the last upgrading the RAM and it works great.
Recently it has got very very slow taking up to an hour to boot so I stripped it down to find the inside choc a block with fluff. Using a small soft brush And hoover I cleaned her and the worst area was the power unit. Starting her up she booted in just over two minutes which is amazing and works through Word etc fantastic.
However I have spent half a day trying to get her to connect to the router/internet and it just shows "identifying" when trying to connect. I have uninstalled the network adaptor and reinstalled put in the auto connects as I have googled but no good. I noticed then that she was calling it a public network! And not sure if it should be private? I cannot find a way of changing it as with it "identifying" all of the time I never get to see the customise icon to change it?
I have it connected to the router via an ethernet cable which I have checked out and wondered whether one of these usb to router dongles might be my answer?

Any help would be appreciated... Happy New Year, Colin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users