Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my motherboard dead? How to troubleshoot? I have no clue what to do!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oblivion2500

Oblivion2500

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

Here's my system build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($419.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($102.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($319.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($429.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case  ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.99 @ Corsair)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($129.77 @ OutletPC)

My computer was working fine with absolutely no trouble. I unplugged it and left to go on vacation for 4 weeks. I got back home 3 days ago. I turned on my computer yesterday and it only turns on for 2 seconds and then turns off. I thought it was my power supply, but I tested it with a power supply tester and it passed the test. I think it might be my motherboard, but I can't figure out what's wrong with my motherboard.

What I have done to try to fix this is I unplugged all my optical drives and storage drives. I remove my memories and just plug back in one slot instead of both. My cpu and the liquid cooler is still plugged into the motherboard. I don't see any damage. I plugged in the psu to motherboard power and try turning it on with the start button on my motherboard. It only starts for a second maybe and maybe not at all. I only see the light of the motherboard stay on and when I push the power button it pops up with code '00' which stands for 'not used'. I tried removing the cmos battery and reset the the BIOS and then tried turning it on and still nothing. I don't know what else to do? There's no speaker on my motherboard or any signs of damage. Seriously this computer was perfectly fine and clean/dust-free/like-new condition before I left for vacation. It was unplugged before I left, so it can't be a power surge. I have no clue how to tell if my motherboard is defective or not. I can't even turn on this thing. This computer is also my work computer for my game development and I can't do any work or gaming without this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

You've gone down the list pretty well and then stopped.  The end result is the power supply.  I know that ones expensive but things do happen and that's the first point of actual replacement or the MOBO is the next.

#3 Luxi_Terna

Luxi_Terna

• Banned Spammer
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

> t only turns on for 2 seconds and then turns off.

Your board is drawing WAY too much current (amps). The PSU notices that and shuts down to protect both itself and the board. This will also happen if the PS is too small.

Try using an old spare PSU before buying a new one. I'll wager the board is shorted somewhere, like a dropped screw between the MB and the case. But in the end, the board is just probably shorted. New MB.

Edited by Luxi_Terna, 02 January 2017 - 12:22 AM.

#4 Oblivion2500

Oblivion2500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

> t only turns on for 2 seconds and then turns off.

Your board is drawing WAY too much current (amps). The PSU notices that and shuts down to protect both itself and the board. This will also happen if the PS is too small.

Try using an old spare PSU before buying a new one. I'll wager the board is shorted somewhere, like a dropped screw between the MB and the case. But in the end, the board is just probably shorted. New MB.

Yeah, I know my power supply which is 850w can support my components. I am going to borrow my friend 750w power supply which works and test it on my motherboard to see if it will boot. If not, then it's probably my motherboard.

#5 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

Luix might be right, if you don't mind the work remove everything out of the box and run the mobo solo with just cpu + 1 memory dimm + cooler + psu and see if you can get it to post of give you a error code, that thing come with a pc speaker ?

Change memory sticks as needed if it doesn't do anything, and ya one short anywhere and what its doing would be normal, id reseat the cpu too just for the hell of it and clean everything with electronic cleaner as you go.

Ps nice system

Edited by shadow_647, 02 January 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#6 Oblivion2500

Oblivion2500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Luix might be right, if you don't mind the work remove everything out of the box and run the mobo solo with just cpu + 1 memory dimm + cooler + psu and see if you can get it to post of give you a error code, that thing come with a pc speaker ?

Change memory sticks as needed if it doesn't do anything, and ya one short anywhere and what its doing would be normal, id reseat the cpu too just for the hell of it and clean everything with electronic cleaner as you go.

Ps nice system

My case came with a motherboard speaker but my motherboard did not which is odd. I don't see anything on the manual or online about my motherboard having speaker error support.

Yeah, I am going to try that and try a different power supply from my friend and see what happens. Thanks, this system still is pretty fast even though its almost 4 years old (except for the SSD and GPU).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users