Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've Been Hacked, Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sirenebekim

sirenebekim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

Ok get this, I come into my computer room the other day, and my aol explorer had generated tons of browser windows, cascading effect such as winning solitaire. Then, aol locked up , and I shut it down. A couple of days later, I get a call from my dad, a member of my address book, whome I've recently had a email dispute with, stating that I spammed him with magazine trials and mailing lists. I did not do anything like that, I understand that it would be quiet malicious and possibly illegal. However, if those requests were generated from my computer and IP, is there anything I can do to prove that I didn't do it? He's talking about prosecuting me and everything, he's quiet the bleep. I told him I didn't do it, but I haven't mentioned anything about the possible hack. My security on my computer isn't that great, I'm on a wireless network in a populated suburb of Tampa. This also is on the hackerwatch.org watch map for recent attacks.. Very coincidental, but to the least a pain in my rear. I'm going to have to get a lawyer and everything to fight because he is very determined. I need to somehow document the attacks on my computer, but when I was attacked I didn't think anything of it.. The HUGE amount of data going through it shut down my 3.4 DUO with 1g DDR, crazy huh? When it shut it down it locked everything up and turned it white so I couldn't see it, quiet crafty indeed. If anyone knows anything on how to fix this, please email me asap so I can get this straightened out.

THANKS EVERYONE

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 28 August 2006 - 11:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hello sirenebekim

Its not uncommon for certain types of malware that has been installed on your system to use your address book to spam others and use spoof messages. You need to increase your overall security and check to ensure the malware responsible for this has been cleaned from your system or the problem will continue. From the situation you describe it also may be a good idea to document anything you find.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans? If not, start here:

Download and scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Setup & Configure as shown here.
Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Then perform these online Virus scans:
[Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.]
Trend Micro Housecall Scan
Panda ActiveScan
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sirenebekim

sirenebekim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for your input, I have some of the programs you have listed already running. I checked out my aol spyware, and I have had 10,000 hits against my firewall in the past 30 days! Also, hackerwatch.org's hackmap for the us shows a decent sized hotspot of hacking going on in my area. I haven't had any other phone calls from individuals on my address book telling me that I have harrassed them, so I think reseting my IP may have gotten rid of them.

Have you heard of nigerian check scam fraud? Well im a victim of that too, I just got another fake check in the mail for my car that I'm selling on autotrader and myspace. I'm kind of optimistic when it comes to selling my car, so i have accepted images and whatnot from these people. Do you think that my problems could have originated from this?

Thanks again

M

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:16 PM

Nigerian scams and numerous others have been around for a while now. It doesn't take much to get infected these days. Clicking the wrong click can end in disaster for your system.

I'd be a little cautious about using MySpace. See here and here.

I also don't have much faith in AOL's Spyware Protection (i.e. SpyZapper) so I would recommend using a well known anti-spyware and anti-virus program with a proven track record if you don't already have them installed.

#5 sirenebekim

sirenebekim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

I also have had the scams about someones relative having some large sum of money, and they need an international person to help them cash it out. You get a percentage, so I went along with it. One of them even sent me a picture of the trunk full of cash! Well I never got the trunk full of cash, and they got a file on my pc. I'm a fool, but I figured they couldn't really do anything with the little amount of information I gave them. I have also recieved multiple ebay and paypal scams, I think im a target... Do I have a bulls-eye on my pc because its got a high speed processor, plenty of ram and memory, and a fast connection? I see it suitable to do many of "invisible" activities while I'm innocently surfing, not being able to notice the huge strain put on the pc untill something wild like what I first posted about happends.... I think im going to burn my computer so I dont' have any more legal problems with it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2006 - 06:09 AM

Read PayPal's "Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails" which includes 10 ways to recognize fake (spoof) emails.

#7 sirenebekim

sirenebekim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:00 PM

I have read all of your links and suggestions, thanks alot for helping me out. My computer hasn't showed any signs of any more foul play, along with only one person calling me complaining about address book abuse. I haven't heard anything from the other party yet so i assume their lawyer laughed at them. anyone know the legalities of this occurance? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users