Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Desktop Questions - Failing Eyesight is our biggest consideration

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

Happy New Year!

I'm looking to purchase a desktop with at least 27" screen due to failing eyesight. I plan to use this desktop partially for streaming entertainment such as Netflix as well as listening to itunes, soundcloud etc. It will also supplement a Thinkpad t560 I'm getting for school.

Cost is a consideration here as I'm buying two thinkpads for me and my old man. Grad school isn't cheap, so I'm hoping to avoid Apple, though my eyes have actually gotten me to the point where I'm considering it.

I'm still stuck on whether I should go with an all-in-one designed for home entertainment use, or if I should look at a higher-powered desktop and a top of the line monitor. The latter would mean I would need to do lots of reading on what a top of the line monitor is right now, and whether stuff like "4k" and "fps" will really making the viewing experience easier for me.

An initial trip to Best Buy got me the suggestion from a sales guy of the Ibuypower BB920 gaming desktop and then a 3 or 4k monitor (Iforget the number he said) from the tv section.
He said a gaming desktop would get me the processor power I would need for the nicer monitors and this sounds good, but I'm not really a gamer and I wonder how much of that price tag is the styling, which I don't care about.

I also am considering HP, though I stll see them as a company that sells dumpy printers. I guess they pivoted? Does Dell have anything I should look at?

I have a friend who works at Lenovo and she said I should buy Lenovo through best Buy because the geeksquad protection is better than lenovo warranty on everything except the thinkpads. Lenovo does have some gaming all-in-ones and desktops, but I didn't find them at my local Best Buy.

Any thoughts on what I'm looking at so far? Any other suggestions for stuff I should be looking at?

Also, any links for beginner explainers on monitors would be appreciated. Thanks!

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

For monitor, you may buy 4K one but as you are not going to game, you don't need gaming desktop for it. Even basic desktop is enough for light 4K use (non-gaming).

In any case, you can buy monitor and desktop computer separately.

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for your response!

I'm somewhat confused though, because even this review of the type of monitor that I think you are talking about references the need for certain types of graphics cards for best performance for certain types of monitors.

Also, in the comments of that review, someone mentions how that monitor would be a problem for people with poor eyesight. I'm really hoping for some recommendations from users with the same issue.

If a 60hz 4k monitor is blurry then what should I be looking for?

I've read that IPS is what I need. Is that true?

System recommendations would also be appreciated.

Edited by Ubiq, 02 January 2017 - 02:07 PM.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

ISP stile my self is the only way to go, though really theirs like 20+ different technology's out their for LCD but most people just call everything ISP stile or TN stile when its comes to LCD, as for a home movie/media computer i could set you up something like that for only $200~$300 ish though it be a old desktop just setup for watching TV/movies/music.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

I'm somewhat confused though, because even this review of the type of monitor that I think you are talking about references the need for certain types of graphics cards for best performance for certain types of monitors.

Also, in the comments of that review, someone mentions how that monitor would be a problem for people with poor eyesight. I'm really hoping for some recommendations from users with the same issue.

For Freesync monitor you would want AMD (or Intel) GPU as Nvidia does not support Freesync.

Cannot say about those problems with that monitor (no experience).

Can you either build a PC or or are able to buy from shop that let's you choose components you want for PC? If yes, I can give better recommendations.

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:50 PM

For Freesync monitor you would want AMD (or Intel) GPU as Nvidia does not support Freesync.

Cannot say about those problems with that monitor (no experience).

Can you either build a PC or or are able to buy from shop that let's you choose components you want for PC? If yes, I can give better recommendations.

Regrettably I don't yet have the free time to learn about building pcs. I would love to, but it's a hobby that will have to wait until I'm done with school. If I'm not totally blind by then. This is why I'm asking for some system recommendations and suggestions for specific tech I should be looking at. I also lack the free time to spend researching this as completely as I need to.

Of course, not being a pro computer user as most are here, it takes me so much longer to feel really knowledgeable enough to make a purchase.

Speccy

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

I'm looking at upgrading my home monitors to ASUS VE278Q 27" Full HD 1920x1080 for the eye sight reason.  Unless you need 4K, and I don't think you do, 1080p should be fine for streaming and desktop use.  The nice thing about these monitors is the different inputs they support.  You may not need a computer with them at all, you could connect the laptops to them with either display port or HDMI.

4K is essentially four of these monitors in resolution on one screen, not a big help when you want things bigger.

Edited by Kilroy, 03 January 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

Regrettably I don't yet have the free time to learn about building pcs. I would love to, but it's a hobby that will have to wait until I'm done with school. If I'm not totally blind by then. This is why I'm asking for some system recommendations and suggestions for specific tech I should be looking at. I also lack the free time to spend researching this as completely as I need to.
Of course, not being a pro computer user as most are here, it takes me so much longer to feel really knowledgeable enough to make a purchase.

But you are ready to buy from shop that let's you choose parts like
https://www.originpc.com/
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
http://www.ibuypower.com/

Or some other?

Edited by Drillingmachine, 03 January 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#9 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Kilroy, I will take a look at this!

Drillingmachine, those do look like cool sites, but i would probably need more handholding than you guys are willing to give to get me to the point where I would be confident enough to order from one. I'm just so crunched for time, it's hard to do the research I feel i need to in order make a purchase.

Speccy

#10 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:26 PM

Ha ha, Drillingmachine, those prices!!  :lmao:  You must be trolling me! :hysterical:

Pretty setups though.

Speccy

#11 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:44 PM

Kilroy, I really like the Asus. My old man is interested in the model linked at the bottom. I think because it has better audio, and the "IPS" maybe. Do you think my Toshiba laptop(in my sig) could run it until I get a new one? This could buy me some time while I figure out what to do about a desktop system. Thank you!

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B17C5KO/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B0043T34RK

Specs:Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9

• Panel Type: AH-IPS
  • True Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Full HD 1080P: Yes
  • Pixel Pitch: 0.311mm
  • Brightness(Max): 250 cd/m2
  • ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR): 80,000,000:1
  • Viewing Angle (CR≥10): 178°(H)/178°(V)
  • Response Time: 5ms (Gray to Gray)
  • Display Colors: 16.7M
  • SPLENDID Video Preset Modes: 6 Modes (sRGB Mode/Scenery Mode/Theater Mode/Standard Mode/Night View Mode/Game Mode)
  • Skin-Tone Selection: 3 Modes
  • Color Temperature Selection: 4 Modes
  • QuickFit (modes): Yes (Letter/A4/Alignment Grid/Photo Modes)
  • HDCP support: Yes
  • Stereo Speakers: 3W x 2 Stereo RMS with Bang & Olufsen ICEpower
  • Signal Input: HDMI x 2, D-Sub, DVI-D (via HDMI-to-DVI cable)
  • PC Audio Input: 3.5mm Mini-Jack
  • AV Audio Input: HDMI
  • Earphone jack: 3.5mm Mini-Jack
  • Analog Signal Frequency: 30~80 KHz(H)/ 56~76 Hz(V)
  • Digital Signal Frequency: 30~80 KHz(H)/ 56~76 Hz(V)
  • Power Consumption(Typical)y: <37W
  • Power Saving Mode: <0.5W
  • Power Off Mode: <0.5W
  • Voltage: 100-240V/50-60Hz
  • Chassis Colors: Silver + Black
  • Tilt: +20°~-5°
  • Security: Kensington lock
  • Phys. Dimension with Stand(WxHxD): 24.5 x 17.4 x 8.9 –inches
  • Net Weight (Esti.): 11.5 lbs
  • Regulation Approval: Energy Star®, BSMI, CB, CCC, CE, C-Tick, ErP, FCC, Gost-R, J-MOSS, PSE, RoHS, UL/cUL, VCCI, WEEE, WHQL (Windows 8, Windows 7)

Speccy

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:14 AM

Thanks Kilroy, I will take a look at this!

Drillingmachine, those do look like cool sites, but i would probably need more handholding than you guys are willing to give to get me to the point where I would be confident enough to order from one. I'm just so crunched for time, it's hard to do the research I feel i need to in order make a purchase.

Ha ha, Drillingmachine, those prices!!  :lmao:  You must be trolling me! :hysterical:
Pretty setups though.

What prices? I didn't provide links to any systems yet.

I can give you direct link to customized system in case it's OK to buy from shops like that.

#13 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

I was referring generally to some of the prices I saw on the three sites you linked to; gaming systems are expensive!

Speccy

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

I was referring generally to some of the prices I saw on the three sites you linked to; gaming systems are expensive!

Of course, as they are Gaming Systems :) You don't need gaming system.

Like that http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1JFTYB

#15 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for the catch Ubiq I thought that monitor was IPS, as that was what my initial search was for, now I have to find a different one.  Unfortunately since I'm looking to mount mine I need the VESA mounts and would prefer not to have to purchase another part to do it.

The one you selected should work fine with the Toshiba.

Edited by Kilroy, 04 January 2017 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users