Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not install Windows (clean) BSOD with scrambled / no text

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thuunbot

thuunbot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hey BC

I am continuing a hardware issue that I can not find the solution to. 

I recently broke my computer by running a BIOS update. (previous thread)
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/636141/i-cant-boot-to-any-os-using-a-hdd-or-usb-only-thing-left-to-try-is-changing-cpu/

I somehow got my computer to load a USB by reseating the entire computer. 

Now My system crashes to BSOD while trying to reinstall Windows 10. 

I have tried changing every cable, reducing my CPU clock, changing RAM and RAM slots. Changing motherboards and even hard drives. 

The last thing would be the Processor (cant find a way to test this without an OS) or finding a BIOS setting that is causing this. 

Question 1:
If the processor was damaged, would the computer not POST, or is there a semi-broken state that would not allow for an OS to run? I do not want to ship to Intel under warranty unnecessarily.

In the BIOS all 4 cores are clocking equally (default 4400 Mhz) at 44 degrees.

Question 2:

Are there any BIOS settings that would potentially prevent OS's from loading/installing

Question 3:

Any indication on what component would cause BSOD text scrambling during a crash? (This  might be a clue to my problem)

Specs :

Gigabyte z97 gaming 3
Intel 4790k
Multiple hard drives tested
Multiple RAM cards/brands tested

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

It's a uncommon thing to have a damaged cpu. Overheating could cause it, or a bent pin. This cpu is brand new?

Edit: is the motherboard rated to handle the wattage for your cpu?

Edited by Blackcat1234567, 01 January 2017 - 05:23 PM.

#3 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

No, it is almost 2 years old but still under Intel's 3 year Warranty.

In my experience all CPU issues result in no POST, but this is so bizarre that I am nearly losing my mind.

All temperatures seem fine to me.. 

#4 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

How much money would the cheapest processor that mobo supports cost? If it was me, I'd pay $10 or $20 to swap in a cheap one. I normally use AMD, maybe Intel would be price restrictive for that strategy?

#5 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

In my experience all CPU issues result in no POST, but this is so bizarre that I am nearly losing my mind.

Depending on if there's a speaker, the motherboard will beep once during a normal post. Is it beeping at all, once, more than once?

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Edited by Blackcat1234567, 01 January 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#6 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

case does not seem to have a speaker. Cheapest Processor I can find locally is a celeron for 60 bucks. Might have to take it to a professional (hurts saying this as IT student) for a diagnosis with proper equipment. I can't figure it out.

"IRQL not less than or equal to" seems to be the blue screen message.

#7 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Try removing the battery from the motherboard and let it sit out for a while, that should reset the bios. Update the bios via flash drive.

Make sure the ssd is enabled in bios. http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005707en

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276248-30-will-removing-motherboard-battery-reset-bios-factory-default

#8 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:57 AM

Hey thanks for all the help you've both been over my two posts here, I have found the solution.

Turns out it IS the processor, I replaced it with a relative's i5 and the computer works perfectly.

I am pretty upset, that processor cost me $500...

Someone owes me a new one, the next step is finding out whether it is Intel or Gigabyte.
:smash: 

#9 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:37 AM

Sorry that the solution turned out the way it did, at least it's solved.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:19 AM

Hey thanks for all the help you've both been over my two posts here, I have found the solution.

Turns out it IS the processor, I replaced it with a relative's i5 and the computer works perfectly.

I am pretty upset, that processor cost me $500... Someone owes me a new one, the next step is finding out whether it is Intel or Gigabyte.
All temperatures seem fine to me..

Be shore to let them know you used a $5 heat sink on a $500 cpu, my self i wouldn't give you a replacement as well i kind of knew it was the cpu in any case from the other forum thread and your temps with a stock Intel heat sink are trash, don't know why you keep saying their good or why you spend $500 on a cpu then use a $5 heat sink to cool it.

And as i said in the other thread i have meany cpus that half work but are still dead in stock that i never put in the trash.

#11 thuunbot

thuunbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

My temps were never bad and if stock isn't good enough for default spec, then yes they owe me.

Thanks for your input though

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

My temps were never bad

lolz FAIL, just did like 15 min research on the topic looking at six or more forums, read posts from like 100 people "speed read"

People are all reporting temps anywhere from 85C ~ 100C with your cpu and a stock Intel cooler "limit is 70c"

Ps im on a full size liquid cooler "very old" and at max overclock for my cpu as well max recommended Vcore and i don't push past 50c with both core going 100% 15min run full load, my full load temps are your idle temps bro.

Though it could he 4 hour burn-in run if you wanted and nothing would change.

This guy in the youtube vid is reporting 62C with a 212 EVO cooler vs all most 100c with a stock Intel cooler "full load" with your cpu, and my research on the net reports the same.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core%20i7-4790K.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8vX80JNVU

if stock isn't good enough for default spec, then yes they owe me.

You might be right on this topic seeing as the cpu shouldn't come with that cooler, minimum it should come with is a 212 EVO cooler.

It tricks computer Newbies that don't know anything about computer hardware / overclocking in to thinking their safe using it for that cpu when their not.

The kind of people that don't know how to check temps under load or what the max temps are for whatever cpu were talking about.

My self if i had the cash for a $500 cpu i would probably have the cash to go full size liquid cooler meaning $250~$350 kit, then i could overclock some too, it is the K version of the cpu after all, it was made to OC if you have the cooling and know what your doing.

But by all keep using the same Intel cooler on 100TDP cpus, some people need to learn things the hard way.

#13 Blackcat1234567

Blackcat1234567

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

A case with good airflow is just as important as a cpu cooler. I agree with Thuunbot though; when a manufacturer list something as compatible, or in this case bundles items together, I expect them to work. Real world experience has taught me this isn't always true.

Rule of thumb: when learning new and important information, try to find three corroborating sources that agree on the topic.

One last question, is the replacement motherboard on the approved manufactures list for your cpu?

Edited by Blackcat1234567, 02 January 2017 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users