Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Not Allowed To Get A Genuine Copy Of Windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 IHateAbnormalities

IHateAbnormalities

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:02 PM

After an automatic update. This stupid thing keeps saying I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. And tells me to get a genuine copy of windows. My mother doesn't want me to get one since it is costly. How do i remove this thing so it doesnt keep naggin me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iqchicken

iqchicken

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:10 AM

are you saying that you in fact DON"T have a genuine version? If not. Go get one. Members of this forum will not help hijack an illegal copy of windows.

System:

-Windows 10 pro 64 bit

-HDD (WD10EZEX)

-MSI B75MA-P45 (MS-7798)

-Socket 1155 LGA

-AMD Radeon HD 7700

-2 STICKS OF 16GB DDR 3 RAM (G.Skill F3-10666CL9-8GBNT)

-K120 Logitech Keyboard

-Centrophorus M601 Mouse

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 05:01 AM

Switch to linux, it won't be easy at first but I promise that you will learn by it.
everyday is a gift

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:06 AM

After an automatic update. This stupid thing keeps saying I may be a victim of software counterfeiting. And tells me to get a genuine copy of windows. My mother doesn't want me to get one since it is costly. How do i remove this thing so it doesnt keep naggin me.

Please tell mom that keeping your current copy of Windows is against International Copyright Laws. You must buy a legitimate copy of Windows. I suggest contacting Microsoft. Excerpt from their forum:

Q: What are the details of the genuine Windows offer?
A: To help customers who unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Windows XP, Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers for those who qualify:
Complimentary offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP available to customers who have been sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, the counterfeit CD, and a counterfeit report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.
Electronic License Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take advantage of, the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to license a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP online for a price of $99 for Windows XP Home edition or $149 for Windows XP Professional. The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically.

Genuine Microsoft Software: How to tell

As a rule, you must have a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the computer that has that copy of XP loaded on it.

Now, since you asked about bypassing this feature - violating copyright rules - this post is closed. If you have any questings, please PM me.

rigel
BleepingComputer Forums Moderator

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users