Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Select 950 stops responding

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arnee13

arnee13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:02 PM

Gateway Select 950 shipped in 2001 with Jabil Athlon motherboard - 950-MHz CPU, NVIDIA Vanta TNT-2 16MB AGP Video Card Revision 0, 128-MB 133/100/66-MHz 64-Bit 4-Clock 16x8 SDRAM DIMM, Quantum 20-GB 4500-RPM Ultra 100 Hard Disk Drive, LG 20X/48X IDE CD-ROM Drive R2,
Microsoft Windows Millennium,

Windows ME wouldn't start up, so I did a clean install of Windows 98 SE. Same problem--computer would lock up either during install or at random after install was complete. Still the same problem with Windows XP Home and with Suse Linux installations.

I upgraded the BIOS, but still have the same problem.

Where should I start troubleshooting next?

Anyone have suggestions? I've checked other forums for similar problems, but with no success.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:36 PM

Welcome to BC arnee13

Lets see if we can get your computer up and running.

Windows ME wouldn't start up, so I did a clean install of Windows 98 SE. Same problem--computer would lock up either during install or at random after install was complete. Still the same problem with Windows XP Home and with Suse Linux installations.

When ME would not start up, would you mind saying when the loading process stopped? With ME, did you ever get past the initial loading?

When you did a clean install of 98, did you use an original Windows CD, as opposed to a startup CD that came with another computer? Did you start the computer with the CD in? Were you successful on erasing ME with a format or fdisk? How long did the computer run after 98 was finished: a couple of days or was it a matter of minutes that it would crash? Any error codes that you can remember when it stopped working?

With XP, did you erase 98 and use the full version original Microsoft XP CDs?

SuSe I can not really help you much on that, but curious if it started up at all.

It is very possible that you have bad hardware somewhere. If you can get another stick of RAM or even another HD, it would eliminate other possibilites. If the motherboard is out, there may not be alot you can do, but if the video card is not working properly, then you may be successful in finding another one. Lastly, have you opened up the computer and looked around to see any burn marks or any unusual black marks on the boards?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:18 AM

something else to consider...

have you checked the CPU fan?
if this model has a seperate fan from the one in the
power supply...
sometimes random lockups are caused by the cpu
overheating... usually in older machines like this one.
just get a $4 can of compressed air and clean out the
heat sink on the cpu itself and clean out the fan.

make sure you can turn the blades of the fan easily...
after spinning it, the fan should keep spinning
at least 3 to 6 times after you let go. if not it could
be that the bearings could have worn out.

just a thought...

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#4 arnee13

arnee13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

thanks for the suggestions--
all the installs were clean installs with full version cd's, and I f-disked the HD before each installation; I also think a hardware problem is the culprit; CPU fan works fine; I changed out the power supply, the video card, and the hard drive, but with the same results. I finally got Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed, but the system locks up randomly with no error messages or apparent causes.

So I am left with the 128 Mb stick of RAM, or the motherboard as the cause of the problem, unless you think the PCI modem or sound card would do it. ?

thanks again for your input

#5 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:12 AM

the best thing to do in situations like this is just elimination
remove all pci devices, even the video card (if your machine
has built-in video)... and try booting it.

if it boots and is stable... it might be the cards themselves...
or it could be the drivers used for them. i have seen some
cards that would crash the machine with the included windows
drivers, but when you download the drivers from the
manufacturer's website... it is all good.

if you have access to memory other than the memory in
the machine, exchange it...
on some machines it allows you to manually (in the bios)
tinker with the timing that the memory uses... if you have
messed with these (or other options) there should be a
"always works" settings for all options in the bios... usually
called "load defaults".

and have you tried different keyboard/mouse? very rarely
they are the culprits...

good luck!

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#6 marweav

marweav

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

I'am having the same identical problems with the same identical computer. Did you get your problems resolved? Where can i find a new motherboard for this computer, Gateway says they are no longer available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users