Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Won't Boot Drive Ltrs Changed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Frank55

Frank55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Greetings Forumerions!

First the computer in question is:

Lenovo Laptop Z565 with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

The last couple months the 'puter has been getting glitchy; it began by going into (auto) repair periodically, stating Windows didn't start. When this happened--it was always able to repair itself ... Until it didn't.

After failed attempts to "repair" the computer using the repair option I finally ran chkdsk. That seemed to have fixed the problem; however, I soon learned it was only temporary.

Once again, Windows wouldn't load, so I repeated my previous steps all in vein. Not giving up during one of the repair attempts I noticed that the "c:" partition was swapped with "e:" . In opening notepad I could see that all my files were now in "e:" and "c:" was empty.

Any input, guidance, advice would be greatly appreciated. I will add that (like most) I have data I can't lose and is not backed up (I know).

Cheers,
Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Hemmm don't know but i would backup data fast on that system if i were you and you can get setup on that topic with a external for like $100.

#3 Frank55

Frank55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hi Shadow,

Hemmm don't know but i would backup data fast on that system if i were you and you can get setup on that topic with a external for like $100.

I have an external drive and that is another procedure I am unschooled in i.e., backing up "properly" and "entirely" via the command prompt; however, I am aware that regardless in how I proceed--that will be step one.

Cheers,
Frank

#4 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

No need to do it at the command line unless you want to go hardcore, just download this, its a full live boot Os and close to immune to virus action.

https://linuxmint.com/

#5 Frank55

Frank55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

No need to do it at the command line unless you want to go hardcore, just download this, its a full live boot Os and close to immune to virus action.

https://linuxmint.com/

I presume you mean to download to another computer and onto a thumb drive?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

Hi

Try this tutorial by Gary R

How to recover files from Windows using Puppy Linux

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:02 AM

I presume you mean to download to another computer and onto a thumb drive?

You can probably do it that way too but i was thinking download ISO and burn image to DVD, then boot computer from DVD, its live boot meaning the hole Os runs only off the DVD and doesn't need to be installed, mint is like winxp or win7 stile GUI, if you know how to use windows its not hard to know how to use mint, then you just plug in the external hdd and move files around with something in side mint that works kind of like Microsoft windows explorer.

#8 Frank55

Frank55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Nick, Shadow,

Thanks for the input--it's much appreciated.

Conversely, I would also like to know how to make repairs from the command prompt ...

Cheers,
Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users