Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gmortner

gmortner

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 10:56 PM

i just got rid of some bad viruses and the icons on my desktop have a black background color with the typeface(they are usually invisable with white type). is there any way to return my icons to their original state of transluesence

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

Right click My Computer / Properties / Advanced /
Under Performance, click the Settings button, and select the Visual Effects tab.
Scroll to the bottom, and make sure there is a check next to, Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop.
Click Apply.
Click OK.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 gmortner

gmortner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:06 AM

unfortunetly iv already tried this (with restarting etc.) and it hasnt worked...any other suggestions??

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:36 AM

Right click on Desktop.
Click on Arrange Icons By.
Uncheck Lock Web Items On Desktop.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 gmortner

gmortner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

already like that...

#6 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:12 PM

the icons on my desktop have a black background color with the typeface(they are usually invisable with white type). is there any way to return my icons to their original state of transluesence

Looks like active desktop is still "loaded" here, so perform next..

* Go to start > control panel > Display properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop... > Web tab
Uncheck and delete everything you find in there. (except for "My current home page")
Hit ok below > apply in previous window.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#7 gmortner

gmortner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

the icons on my desktop have a black background color with the typeface(they are usually invisable with white type). is there any way to return my icons to their original state of transluesence

Looks like active desktop is still "loaded" here, so perform next..

* Go to start > control panel > Display properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop... > Web tab
Uncheck and delete everything you find in there. (except for "My current home page")
Hit ok below > apply in previous window.

ahhh thank you...worked perfectly

#8 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

Ok, but I just took a look at your hijackthislog -- and it looks horrible..:thumbsup:
I am amazed that your computer is still able to boot... So many different types of malware present... :flowers:

Anyway, I replied to your log as well. Please perform every instruction there in the right order.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users