Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Update service missing.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Twixxin

Twixxin

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Hello, i just cleaned my cousins pc. It had some weird rootkit, it seems like it removed his windows update service.
What could i do to reinstall them, i tried some microsoft fixit installers but none of them worked, i think i have to install it with registry.
Right now i am doing a scan with anti malware again to make sure everything is gone, i cant use farbar service scanner to check, but even if i check i know it will say missing.
I tried enabling it with cmd, and bunch of fixit but no luck. Any specific solutions. Should i maybe do sfc /scannow after the scan? Just asking, since i am into cleaning myself but, never seen an official microsoft service missing so yeah.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 January 2017 - 03:33 PM.
Moved to AII from Windows 7. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Might help

Reset Windows Update components

This is slightly complicated so go slowly a step at a time and please ask if you need any further assistance.(note that you skip step 4 first off unless the rest of it doesnt work).

As your going to modify the registry you should back it up before following these instructions

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/registry-backup/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/registry-backup/

(Run the program,give the backup a name and click backup now).

Reset Windows Update components

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

#3 Twixxin

Twixxin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

We fixed it, after we removed rootkit and did anti malware scan, all we had to do is restart the pc after rootkit removal. Seems like rootkit was hiding and disabled lot's of services. 
If anyone has the same problem i removed rootkit with TDSSKiller from kaspersky. Was kinda weird when i installed anti malware, at the end of installation it said you need to restart pc to install rootkit driver(rootkit blocked installation obviously). And never got to use it properly until i ran TDSSKiller. 
Updating the system right now!
Thanks for help anyway! 

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Well done,Tdss killers a great little utility.Glad you fixed it,specialy since its such a doozey to troubleshoot.:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users