Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDR4 2133 Better Than 2400?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

in my search, seems the latency on the 2133 is often lower than in the 2400. does the latency on the 2400 go down if your system can only run at 2133? or does it stay higher than the 2133, and thus it's best to get the 2133 with the lower latency? 

looking for the fastest RAM at 2133.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

For what CPU and motherboard?

It's possible that there are 2133 and 2400 memory modules with exactly same memory chips, 2133 memory just have lower latencies.

For your question, memory modules have SPD timings. If 2133 SPD timings are lower than 2400 SPD timings, then 2400 memory with 2133 speed have lower latencies when using SPD. It's often possible to adjust memory latencies manually also.

#3 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

For what CPU and motherboard?

It's possible that there are 2133 and 2400 memory modules with exactly same memory chips, 2133 memory just have lower latencies.

For your question, memory modules have SPD timings. If 2133 SPD timings are lower than 2400 SPD timings, then 2400 memory with 2133 speed have lower latencies when using SPD. It's often possible to adjust memory latencies manually also.

Any recommendations on the fastest? Searching a lot and it's a bit overwhelming.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

Why you want fastest 2133 memory? For what CPU and motherboard?

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Why you want fastest 2133 memory? For what CPU and motherboard?

Intel i7 6700k, ASUS  H110M-A M2.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:29 PM

Low latency 2133 memory vs "normal" 2133 memory have virtually no difference so no need to hunt for "best" memory. Motherboard is also low end one so I see no point investing memory too much.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:51 AM

Agreed.

worse to best memory of the same type when it comes to benchmarks doesn't change that much, not that id go for bottom of the barrel ram but at the same time i don't see the point of doing nuts with top of the line when it comes to ram.

As well the more latency you have the more it zaps performance and that's the trade off that's bin going on for years on the topic of single vs dual vs triple vs quad channel ram setups and old 168pin SDR vs DDR4 topic, in a nut shell bigger numbers sell even if they don't do anything.

A lot of it is fake performance when it comes to ram on a lot of levels depending what yours doing.

As well when people of late talk about the speed of their ram their talking about the speed of the I/O bus not the speed of the ram, worse iv seen so far on this topic is some video card claiming the ram was 7000mgz, made me laff cus i know the real ram speed was probably like 300mgz, only way to can claim 300mgz ram is 7000mgz is by smoking a big one.

If you have piles of latency but a big speed number/bandwidth max for the cpu that doesn't mater, kind of like gaming if you have piles of speed on your net connection but a ping of 2000, you still can't game in anything even if you have the speed because you have too much lag/latency.

In the cast of main system memory if you have piles of latency what the cpu tends to do is stall.

Seen some benchmarks of late were single channel ram setup beats dual on the same mobo and ram depending whats being benchmark.

My self if it were my call id go for the best latency possible and whatever for max mgz ram, id go for the best timing possable and not the max ram speed or I/O bus speed numbers.

#8 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

Agreed.

worse to best memory of the same type when it comes to benchmarks doesn't change that much, not that id go for bottom of the barrel ram but at the same time i don't see the point of doing nuts with top of the line when it comes to ram.

As well the more latency you have the more it zaps performance and that's the trade off that's bin going on for years on the topic of single vs dual vs triple vs quad channel ram setups and old 168pin SDR vs DDR4 topic, in a nut shell bigger numbers sell even if they don't do anything.

A lot of it is fake performance when it comes to ram on a lot of levels depending what yours doing.

As well when people of late talk about the speed of their ram their talking about the speed of the I/O bus not the speed of the ram, worse iv seen so far on this topic is some video card claiming the ram was 7000mgz, made me laff cus i know the real ram speed was probably like 300mgz, only way to can claim 300mgz ram is 7000mgz is by smoking a big one.

If you have piles of latency but a big speed number/bandwidth max for the cpu that doesn't mater, kind of like gaming if you have piles of speed on your net connection but a ping of 2000, you still can't game in anything even if you have the speed because you have too much lag/latency.

In the cast of main system memory if you have piles of latency what the cpu tends to do is stall.

Seen some benchmarks of late were single channel ram setup beats dual on the same mobo and ram depending whats being benchmark.

My self if it were my call id go for the best latency possible and whatever for max mgz ram, id go for the best timing possable and not the max ram speed or I/O bus speed numbers.

Thanks. I found a Kingston RAM with CL13 13-13-13. It says it's server memory. Is there any difference between PC and server?

Otherwise, will go with the Patriot Viper Elite (14-14-14). That is, assuming they will work with my motherboard. Neither is explicitly listed as compatible, but I assume since they have the same specs, they should work?

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

Eh high speed ram is questionable especially on your specs.

Look at this:

This is DDR3 but the values are similar for DDR4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwuE8IWQAu8

Edit: wrong video

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 January 2017 - 12:00 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#10 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Eh high speed ram is questionable especially on your specs.

Look at this:

This is DDR3 but the values are similar for DDR4

https://youtu.be/rwuE8IWQAu8

for my case, the amount of RAM (16GB) and speed (2133) are constants. so, given that, does a CL13 perform better than a CL14 or CL15?

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Not on your specs, and even if you had a lowly Pentium the differences in ram speed do nothing really except for be able to work a little faster.

But the margins are microscopic especially on gaming.

Memory speed is really a non issue with modern processors, heck I run DDR3 1333 and my machine runs like lightning even on a standard platter hared drive.

I would not worry about ram speed it means nothing really.

If you want a faster system instead of spending another $50-60 on RAM I would buy a SSD, there you can have everything faster.

To be honest if this is all a self built system you really borked on choosing your parts.

A overpriced K sku skylake on a low end non overclocking motherboard... bad call.

I would actually sell your skylake K sometime and go for a non overclock i5 or something....

You really did not choose ideal parts here.

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 January 2017 - 12:13 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#12 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

Not on your specs, and even if you had a lowly Pentium the differences in ram speed do nothing really except for be able to work a little faster.

But the margins are microscopic especially on gaming.

Memory speed is really a non issue with modern processors, heck I run DDR3 1333 and my machine runs like lightning even on a standard platter hared drive.

I would not worry about ram speed it means nothing really.

If you want a faster system instead of spending another $50-60 on RAM I would buy a SSD, there you can have everything faster.

To be honest if this is all a self built system you really borked on choosing your parts.

A overpriced K sku skylake on a low end non overclocking motherboard... bad call

thanks. the K version was only $30 more, and has that base rate of 4.0 and higher turbo rate. I have several SSDs.  the fastest RAM is $35 more.   so, $80 for the CL14 RAM, $115 for the CL13. sounds like the cheaper RAM is all i need? 

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:24 PM

Well the reason why i think you were unwise with your parts is that if this is a gaming rig you would have been better off with devoting resources to a good GPU rather than a CPU.

Considering the non overclocking nature of your motherboard and how good non overclocking core i5's are you would have saved way more than $30.

A Intel Core i5-6500 is far cheaper and would have done the same basic job for $145 less (plus you needing to buy a cooler too)

Even if this were a media editing rig I think you were a bit over concerned about clock speeds and not considering that the i7 really isnt too different than a i5.

Plus your motherboard is incapable of taking advantage of your i7, its like adding rocket fuel into a pinto without the explosions.

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 January 2017 - 12:30 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Good youtube VID, im of the same mind my self, i tend to go for middle of the road memory I/O bus speed wise aka Mhz with the best timings possible, and why not, ill take ram heat sinks just for fun not that quality ram needs heat sinks in any case but ill take em none the less.

Id stay away from no name brand ram too.

As for OP question about server memory yes their is a difference, server memory often will be ECC ram "Error-correcting code memory" Its for servers only and is more stable then normal ram with out ECC as well most none server motherboards can't use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users