Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Server changing query..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

When a faster server is found the instructions given to change the server were to go to the network adapter settings for your computer and enter in the DNS server addresses.

On my laptop in the wireless and ethernet adaptor tabs there is no mention of a DNS server address, in fact the letters DNS are not mentioned anywhere.

Can any one explain what is the glitch here? - thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Going to my router info I see that the DNS Server is provided by my ISP so the Primary and Secondary fields are blank.

Would this explain why my laptop adaptor shows no server info?

I share this router so I don't want to change anything on that now.

Edited by zzzz, 01 January 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

What Operating System to you have? DNS options are usually listed under the IP stack; Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click "ethernet adapter" and Properties > Double click "Internet Protocal IPv4" > Use the following DNS server. If set to automatic, the computer acquires DNS from the router through DHCP. The router get it's DNS with DHCP through the modem from the ISP. It's a bit more complicated then that, but what were you trying to do? Change your DNS or test which DNS server is fastest?

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Thanks for responding.  Using Win 10 Home

Yes I was seeing how to go about changing the DNS server as 'Namebench' showed I could get 85.1% faster with a server in Dallas, Texas altho I am in the UK! I wasn't about to do it until I had tried to get more info about it. I emailed the server people about it but no reply yet.

Have followed your instruction and see that there I can enter into 'Use the following DNS server..'

Perhaps you can comment on the following please:-

Using Namebench to search for a faster server I got the Dallas server, 129.250.35.251,  result but in the notes to that I read -

'twitter.com appears incorrect 104.244.42.129   104.244.42.65

www.google.com is highjacked: 74.125.206.99   74.125.206.147 and 4 others

What do these notes mean?

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

Sorry, I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic