Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Random restarts / reboots during gaming with no BSOD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 someguy2017

someguy2017

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hi, my computer just restarts with no warning when gaming or immediately after but seemingly only with 1 or 2 games. There is no BSOD and it restarts completely normally as if nothing has happened. Memtest86 shows no errors, I updated the drivers, the temps don't appear to be getting too high.  

I would be grateful for any suggestions please, it is driving me crazy.  Thanks

System info: 
Desktop
· OS - Windows 10 pro  x64 bit
· Original install - Custom built PC
· All hardware is about 2 weeks old and standard, not over clocked or anything like that.
· OS fresh installed from new 2 weeks ago.

· Intel I5-6600 @ 3.30ghz
· NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (MSI)
· Gigabyte  H110M-S2H-CF (U3E1)
· CiT ATV-550W
· CCL 

Attached Files

Edited by someguy2017, 01 January 2017 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F4) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 14393 (1607) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

These devices are disabled in Device Manager:

Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter    PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002E&SUBSYS_30A4168C&REV_01\4&3632F028&0&00E6    This device is disabled.
NVIDIA High Definition Audio    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0084&SUBSYS_14623285&REV_1001\5&129CEB72&0&0001    This device is disabled.
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)    ROOT\UNNAMED_DEVICE\0000    This device is disabled.

Please re-enable them and then update their drivers from the manufacturer's support page.
Once that's done, feel free to disable them again if so desired.

More Live Kernel Events than BSOD's in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

This might be a sign of a hardware problem - please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results when done.

Your mdf16.sys and mvd23.sys drivers dates from 2010/11 and may not be compatible w/W10

They belong to a program named SecretZone that was published by Clarus

Please uninstall it and see if that helps

Analysis:
The following is for information purposes only. The following information contains the relevant information from the blue screen analysis:
**************************Thu Dec 22 05:46:15.243 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\john\SysnativeBSODApps\122216-6593-01.dmp]
Windows 10 Kernel Version 14393 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Built by: 14393.576.amd64fre.rs1_release_inmarket.161208-2252
System Uptime:0 days 3:50:16.906
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by :memory_corruption
BugCheck 18, {0, ffffaa80b73b5070, 6, ffffffffffffffff}
BugCheck Info: REFERENCE_BY_POINTER (18)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000000, Object type of the object whose reference count is being lowered
Arg2: ffffaa80b73b5070, Object whose reference count is being lowered
Arg3: 0000000000000006, Reserved
Arg4: ffffffffffffffff, Reserved
    The reference count of an object is illegal for the current state of the object.
    Each time a driver uses a pointer to an object the driver calls a kernel routine
    to increment the reference count of the object. When the driver is done with the
    pointer the driver calls another kernel routine to decrement the reference count.
    Drivers must match calls to the increment and decrement routines. This bugcheck
    can occur because an object's reference count goes to zero while there are still
    open handles to the object, in which case the fourth parameter indicates the number
    of opened handles. It may also occur when the object?s reference count drops below zero
    whether or not there are open handles to the object, and in that case the fourth parameter
    contains the actual value of the pointer references count.
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x18
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  CODE_CORRUPTION
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: MEMORY_CORRUPTION_ONE_BYTE
CPUID:        "Intel® Core™ i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz"
MaxSpeed:     3300
CurrentSpeed: 3312
  BIOS Version                  F4
  BIOS Release Date             03/16/2016
  Manufacturer                  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
  Product Name                  To be filled by O.E.M.
  Baseboard Product             H110M-S2H-CF
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

3rd Party Drivers:
The following is for information purposes only. My recommendations were given above. The drivers that follow belong to software or devices that were not developed by Microsoft.  You can find links to the driver information and where to update the drivers in the section after the code box:

**************************Thu Dec 22 05:46:15.243 2016 (UTC - 5:00)**************************
mdf16.sys                   Fri Jul 30 10:26:40 2010 (4C52E120)
mvd23.sys                   Wed May 18 14:51:49 2011 (4DD41545)
TeeDriverW8x64.sys          Mon Aug 31 15:49:07 2015 (55E4AFB3)
rt640x64.sys                Thu Jan 21 03:17:40 2016 (56A09424)
athwnx.sys                  Tue Mar  1 03:39:03 2016 (56D55527)
tap0901.sys                 Thu Apr 21 05:10:05 2016 (571898ED)
intelppm.sys                Fri Jul 15 22:10:43 2016 (578997A3)
xusb22.sys                  Fri Jul 15 22:28:13 2016 (57899BBD)
wrUrlFlt.sys                Wed Sep 21 10:50:22 2016 (57E29E2E)
nvhda64v.sys                Thu Sep 29 09:25:06 2016 (57ED1632)
WRkrn.sys                   Mon Nov 28 15:15:35 2016 (583C9067)
nvlddmkm.sys                Sun Dec 11 13:13:24 2016 (584D9744)

mdf16.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
mvd23.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=TeeDriverW8x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=rt640x64.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=athwnx.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=tap0901.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=intelppm.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=xusb22.sys
wrUrlFlt.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvhda64v.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=WRkrn.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=nvlddmkm.sys

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

Hi, thank you for the reply above. 

I have manually checked windows update (none available)

Updated drivers (all were up to date)

Un installed the program mentioned above. 

I have run memtest86 for 6 hours with no faults found. 

two issues:

I have updated the BIOS and now my graphics card isn't being detected in device manager or the BIOS itself, yet the power light is on. 

I have run Prime95 CPU stress test and after approx 20 mins the reboot fault appeared. No blue screen just switchs off and restarts again in the blink of an eye.  Temps did not exceed 60 degrees which I believe is within safe limits?   

There is no memory dump showing since the 22/12/16 on when checking with the "whoCrashed" application, but obviously my computer has crashed numerous times since then. 

So from this I guess there is some kind of hardware issue going on?

Edited by someguy2017, 04 January 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

If you can see video, then your card is working.

I'd suggest updating the video card drivers to see if that fixes the missing card in Device Manager.

If the system crashes with Prime95, then the most likely cause depends on the test that you were running.

If you were running the Blend test, then the most likely cause is the RAM.

BUT, other things can cause the system to crash (I saw, on these forums, the other day that Razer drivers caused a crash in Prime95 when running tests).

The next thing is to try and test the memory sticks individually with Prime95 - to see if the system still crashes.

Start by testing each stick in the first slot.  If any of them pass without crashing, then try one that passes in the rest of the slots.

60ºC temps are within acceptable limits.

Memory dump collection (when the system gets a BSOD) is very complicated (and, IMO, fragile).

Here's some info on memory dump creation:  http://www.carrona.org/dumpgen.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi, 

the graphics card issue was only fixed by physically removing, booting the PC and re-installing it. Updated drivers, etc.  The problem went away for 1 day then came back today happening 3 times.   

The prime95 test I did was a 'blend' test so it could be RAM,  but then again memtest86 came up clean. 

edit: I just started another Prime95 test "large FFTs" and left the computer, within 10 minutes it had turned itself off and on again.  This time during the reboot phase it shutdown again before eventually getting to the login page on the 2nd attempt. 

I don't know if I have done enough tests now to confirm it is most likely a hardware rather than software issue and if I should just send it back to the shop to get them to figure out what is what. 

Edited by someguy2017, 07 January 2017 - 04:16 PM.

#6 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Heat sink what ? max temp under load was ?

#7 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:41 AM

Heat sink what ? max temp under load was ?

Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Air Cooler  and the max temp under load 64c.

#8 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

Decent heat sink for a air cooler max temp is for your cpu TDP65 is 71c and the emergency power down is probably at 100c unless you set it lower in the bios.

Seeing as you know your max load temps im guessing you did stress testing at full load on the cpu ?

If so no problems detected ?

Sorry to go here but of late 1 in 3 posts in this part of the forum its people with heat problems / unstable computers.

From what i understand its only 2 games that are bugging the computer, what are the two games in question as well what other games do you play that have no problems and or other software that tax's the system some.

#9 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:06 AM

Decent heat sink for a air cooler max temp is for your cpu TDP65 is 71c and the emergency power down is probably at 100c unless you set it lower in the bios.

Seeing as you know your max load temps im guessing you did stress testing at full load on the cpu ?

If so no problems detected ?

Sorry to go here but of late 1 in 3 posts in this part of the forum its people with heat problems / unstable computers.

From what i understand its only 2 games that are bugging the computer, what are the two games in question as well what other games do you play that have no problems and or other software that tax's the system some.

Hi, :)

no the prime95 program is a stress tester (AFAIK) and the computer crashed twice during that as well, after only a few minutes despite normal temps. 

BIOS and all hardware settings are defaulted, I have not messed around with temps, voltages or anything like that as I simply don't have the experience to do it properly. 

Edited by someguy2017, 08 January 2017 - 05:07 AM.

#10 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

no the prime95 program is a stress tester (AFAIK) and the computer crashed twice during that as well, after only a few minutes despite normal temps

i see so its not limited to just 2 games,chances are the 2 games in question are the only two that  really push on the hardware and that's bombing the system "best guess" unless is its just the games that need patches or something. why i wanted to know what games you play and dont and what games are problem games.

Ok so ill consider that as a failed cpu stress test, as well cpu temps are below max but i wouldn't consider them as grate, might not be that though, some quick bios mods on that topic can test the topic as well, ill get to that if it comes down to it.

Mind doing the following, would help for me to see what the hardware/software setup is.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

I see you passed memtest, that doesn't mean the ram is 100% ok but that is a good sine, btw my self i tend to just do one pass not 6 hours of it and theirs other memory tester apps you can try if you want for a 2nd option though on that topic too i tend my self just to do one pass.

BIOS and all hardware settings are defaulted, I have not messed around with temps, voltages or anything like that as I simply don't have the experience to do it properly.

Good idea, its risky for new people to play around in their, i use to hang around pure pc hardware forums for years at one point and the amount of people that killed computers from overclocking in their was nuts, mostly new people to the topic.

Were going to have to go near the bios topic i think though for some of my tests i normally do when stress testing a system on a hardware level.

#11 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply.  

here is the speccy link.

Edited by someguy2017, 08 January 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#12 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

BUT, other things can cause the system to crash (I saw, on these forums, the other day that Razer drivers caused a crash in Prime95 when running tests).

The next thing is to try and test the memory sticks individually with Prime95 - to see if the system still crashes.

Start by testing each stick in the first slot.  If any of them pass without crashing, then try one that passes in the rest of the slots.

60ºC temps are within acceptable limits.

K tnx for link and this is some good advice, you do the following ?

#13 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hi, 

I am still having the same problem.    I ran driver verifier twice and got BSOD on start-up caused by WRKrn.sys and then veracrypt.sys.   

Should I remove the programs associated with those drivers? 

#14 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

The problem is becoming more frequent now.   I did a clean re-install of Windows and I have ruled out the graphics card (physically removed it) as a cause of the issue.   Does anyone else have any thoughts?

thanks

#15 someguy2017

someguy2017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:36 PM

Update for anyone who is having similar issues  with event ID 41 Kernel Power errors. 

The problem in my case was the power supply unit.   I put in a better quality power supply and the problem has not reoccurred since.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users