Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Hotmail Sent Files are Gone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leis

leis

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I discovered that Hotmail sent emails I've had from at least 2013 on to only the last month's are gone since the change to Outlook. I'm finding out that the way I log into the Hotmail account via Windows Live will be obsolete? I now use Firefox Browser and OS Windows 7.

Is there a way to really retrieve the lost emails from server? I don't recall the notice or warning that they would actually go ahead and not carry over the emails. I was reading last night whereby the new Outlook could not sustain the older hotmail saved emails on its new and improved Outlook? If I can't get my old hotmail folder because of that reason than I'm ditching Outlook altogether. This is something else.

Edited by hamluis, 01 January 2017 - 02:36 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

I certainly hope you are wrong about sent emails using a Hotmail address are no longer available. I looked in my hotmail account and

I still see emails sent dating back to 2007....probably when I first started using that Hotmail account.

I do think that I have the latest online interface for Outlook that was issued several months back.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hotmail got borked since they sold to Microsoft. Whether or not you were effected depends on if your account was upgraded before the migration. See link.

Email in general didn't have a good year this year. The huge Yahoo hack. Verizon shutting down port 25. Hotmail being absorbed into Outlook. Cox outsourcing to Texas. There aren't many good email providers left it seems.

#4 leis

leis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

Thanks for the information Trikein (and buddy 215).

Yes, as to the year of the not-too-good-email experiences and as i pledge to do myself away from Outlook if they indeed wiped clean my saved emails, i'm looking at the available selection of other emailers and it's pretty slim pickins' to say the least, the Outlooks not very "looky" good. You know.

I read that article that you link to about the AC or BC  (no, just a joke) but yes, about the Outlook.com Outlook.mail and I still don't (kind of) get it. I mean, my login from Windows Live prompt i saved as a Favorite is with the Hotmail.com and Outlook pours right on and has for quite awhile and does say Outlook.mail. So as far as that goes and from something i read and i can't be exact or where from last night, when i first discovered this, i was a little keyed up in scouting about for answers and something read to the effect that the new outstanding Outlook would or could not support past Hotmail and therefore, only calendar contacts and (one other item) would be accommodated to the new Outlook.
     I'm thinking that's weird then if the features of the new Outlook that can't-what, carry over or migrate onward past Hotmail email accounts' saved sent emails, (wo that's a long sentence, sorry) then its bigger better-ness really appears to be limited lesser-ness.

Other research has led that there is another way one can obtain his emails by mapping or by creating a workaround that has to do with Pop... and again, I'm not sure since this is new stuff to read up on, but by changing the port on computer to enable the synch-method that when i looked at the site where i found this, it was 2013, and so, i had to think that this may not be present procedure to work (now).

Thanks again for your input. Back to the salt mines.

Edited by leis, 01 January 2017 - 05:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users