Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer working off and on. Need help moving OS to external drive

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 siminu2

siminu2

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:18 AM

I have a one year old Lenovo Think Pad.  It has Windows 10 on it. Processor is Intel Core i7-2640MCPU 2.80 GHz with 8.00 GB RAM.  64 bit OS

I need advise on what could be wrong and how to minimize loosing another computer. Computer will work well then start not responding and then freezing.  Sometimes it will snap out of it and others I have to manually shut it down.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

To Start id check heat levels at full load and see what happens.

plz download the following and run them at the same time.

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Keep the hardware monitor runing then run prime95 for 15 min, keep an eye on the fan speed of your laptop and max temp of the cpu, report back when you know more.

Max temp for your cpu is 100c make shoure you stay under that, stop test at 85c.

#3 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

Thank you Shadow for replying.  I have downloaded both files and they are running together.  I have not used these tools before the Prime 95 listed three lines which are as follows: [Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Mersenne number primality test program version 28.10

[Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Optimizing for CPU architecture: Core i3/i5/i7, L2 cache size: 256 KB, L3 cache size: 4 MB
[Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Logical CPUs 1,2 form one physical CPU.
[Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Logical CPUs 3,4 form one physical CPU.

I do not see a fan spead but the values look to be withing the max range.  I left the programs running and now getting not responding on the monitor.

Edited by siminu2, 01 January 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

Please noticeThis log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

Thank you for responding.  Point of information.  After last round windows shut down.  The computer is a lenovo T420 if that helps.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0eQKUNSiiuMMoBMArspkQAS

Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/team_folders/home/Command%20Prompt%20Data

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Your hdd is showing a very large number of Reallocated Sector Count.  The S.M.A.R.T. attributes is giving a warning for its overall status.  You hdd may be failing.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Thank you Shadow for replying.  I have downloaded both files and they are running together.  I have not used these tools before the Prime 95 listed three lines which are as follows: [Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Mersenne number primality test program version 28.10

[Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Optimizing for CPU architecture: Core i3/i5/i7, L2 cache size: 256 KB, L3 cache size: 4 MB
[Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Logical CPUs 1,2 form one physical CPU.
[Main thread Jan 1 11:04] Logical CPUs 3,4 form one physical CPU.

I do not see a fan spead but the values look to be withing the max range.  I left the programs running and now getting not responding on the monitor.

I don't know what this is all about but i don't see any info about fan speeds or max cpu temps.

#8 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

I have tried to run the Sea Tools for windows but only get 27% before it stops and does not respond.  I believe that the hard drive is going.  Can someone please tell me how to move OS to external drive before I can no longer use the computer?  Windows is also becoming unresponsive.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

The scan stopping like this is indicative of a failing hdd.  You have over 200 reallocated sectors, this number is very high.  When sectors are reallocated there is always the chance that some data will be lost.  From what you have posted it would appear that this is the case.  This makes it a craps shoot trying to recover your data.  I would suggest not using the computer any except to transfer your data, continued use can result in more loss of data.

You can probably now appreciate why everyone should save their important data to external media.  If you had done this already you would have all of the data to transfer to the new hdd.  The is free software that you can use to clone the contents of your SSD/HDD, such as Macrium Reflect.

If you have a flash drive or an external hdd you can transfer whole folders to it.  For example, say you wanted to transfer all of your pictures to the removable media (flash drive, external hdd, etc.)  Open the Start menu and select This PC, right click on Pictures, in the menu that opens select Send to, your removable media should be in this list, select the removable media which you want to transfer the folder to.

Removing the current hdd and replacing it is usually very easy.  If you provide me with the complete model of this I will provide you with a link to a video which will show you how to remove and replace the hdd.

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.  This should be something that you can do.  Just take your time and follow the instructions.  If you have any question you only need to ask you I will be willing to help.

You will need to create the installation media for your version of Windows, for example, Windows 10 Home 64-bit.  This is important since the version of you operating system is tied to the product code.

If you are concerned about your product code you can put your mind at ease, it is digitally recorded by Microsoft.  When you install the operating system it should automatically activate the operating system.

#10 siminu2

siminu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate all the help I can get.  I have transferred all files to external drive and will attempt to create something to transfer the OS to the new drive.  I have an Lenovo T420 less than year old and it looks like this may be the second HDD to go.  Is it possible that the fan may be causing the issue?  Can you tell me what size USB flash drive would be required?

I will order new HDD and attempt to replace myself with your help.  Do you have any suggestions as to what HDD I should look for?

I see you are in CA.  I was born there and also have fear of PB sticking to roof of my mouth.  As a girl in the SF Valley temperatures were so hot that sandwiches were liquid and hot.  I quickly learned to fear that sticky stuff.  LOL

Again thanks for the help.

#11 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

will attempt to create something to transfer the OS to the new drive

Sorry to butt in...

@dc3 will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can transfer the Windows OS to a USB external hard drive.

If your data are safely backed up to that external drive, your next step will be to follow his advice to replace the computer's INTERNAL HDD with a new one, following his instructions.  That's where you would reinstall Windows...

<please feel free to disregard if I misunderstood>

MM

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

If you select This PC, then right click on a folder you want to transfer you will have the option for Properties.  If you select this it will show you the size of the folder.  You can do this with all of your data.

As for using software to clone your hdd, I suspect that there is enough file corruption that a cloned copy of the hdd contents may be too buggy to use.  I would suggest a fresh installation and then transfer your saved data to the new hdd.

You can use any 2.5" SSD or HDD.  You can see a large variety at Newegg.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

will attempt to create something to transfer the OS to the new drive

Sorry to butt in...

@dc3 will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can transfer the Windows OS to a USB external hard drive.

If your data are safely backed up to that external drive, your next step will be to follow his advice to replace the computer's INTERNAL HDD with a new one, following his instructions.  That's where you would reinstall Windows...

<please feel free to disregard if I misunderstood>

MM

You could transfer the operating system to an external ssd/hdd by cloning it and storing the image on the external drive.  You can even boot from it if  you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the first device in the boot order is a USB device.  But what I suggested was to store the data on removable media and then transfer the data to the new hdd after the operating system has been install.  I had no intention to use external media to install the operating system. :thumbup2:

But as I've already posted, I suspect that there is enough file corruption that a cloned image of the hdd would be problematic.

#14 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:54 PM

Hi:

Thanks for clarification.
My bad.
I misunderstood the OP to mean that she was going to try to transfer and run the computer's Windows OS off an external hard drive. :lol:
Yes, I suppose cloning the drive as an interim step before replacing the computer's HDD would have been good, if the OS were in decent shape.

OK, I will crawl back under my rock now. :)

Cheers,
MM

{EDIT: typos}

Edited by MoxieMomma, 03 January 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

MoxieMomma, there will be no crawling under, around, or over rocks at this website. :nono:  Your input is always welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users