Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems downloading Windows Updates KB3020369 and KB3172605

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spetho2001

spetho2001

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

I am trying to download and install Windows Updates KB3020369 and KB3172605 to solve the problem of Windows Update not notifying me of ANY updates and I am having problems. Can you help? I am going by an old post.

"Thank you MoxieMomma. Your solution worked for me - however I did not have to go through all the steps you outlined. Here's what worked for me:

1. Downloaded updates KB3020369 and KB3172605
2. Stopped and Disabled Windows Update service
3. Installed update KB3020369
4. Installed update KB3172605
5. Rebooted
6. Re-enabled Windows update service and restarted it
7. Went to Windows Update and clicked to check for updates manually
8. Finally got a list of 100+ updates and started to patiently install them"

I download the updates from the Microsoft site which came up in a Google Search

Download Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3020369 ...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46817
1. Cached
Apr 22, 2015 - Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3020369). Select Language: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Hong Kong SAR), Chinese ...
You've visited this page 5 times. Last visit: 1/1/17

Then I change the Windows Update setting to Never check for updates (Recommended)

Then I stop Microsoft Update service by using keys WINDOWS + R, typing services.msc, and disabling Windows Update Service.

Then I open Internet Explorer and go to TOOLS, VIEW DOWNLOADS IN IE, click OPEN for the file to be installed.
I get a small window that says Preparing Installation for a split second and then it goes to Searching for updates on this computer
I wait five or ten minutes and then try to cancel. It will not do that unless I shut the computer down.
My question would be is Searching for updates on this computer supposed to happen and how long does it take? Will it run forever like the problem with the WINDOWS UPDATE that I am trying to correct?
Thank you,
TomS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

Hi:

Then I stop Microsoft Update service by using keys WINDOWS + R, typing services.msc, and disabling Windows Update Service.

(Emphasis mine)

That may be the problem.

For most (but not all) users, the correct step is to set Windows Update service to "manual", not to disable it.

I suggest following this exact sequence, exactly as listed.

It contains what may be a few extra steps for some users (such as disconnecting from the internet), but it has proved to be reliably successful for me and for many, many other users. 

It should only take a few minutes and a couple of reboots.

Let's try this:

1. IF NOT ALREADY DONE: Download and save, but do not run yet, the standalone installers for KB3020369 and KB3172605 for your architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).
  2. Disconnect from the internet.
  3. Disable the Windows Update service in both the applet itself ("never check for updates") AND from services.msc (scroll down to "Windows Update", RIGHT-click > "properties" > change it to "manual" and STOP the service, then click "OK").
  4. REBOOT
  5. Run 3020369 and reboot.
  6. Run 3172605 and reboot.
  7. Go into services.msc and change WU back to "Automatic-delayed start" and start the service.
  8. Reconnect to internet.
  9. Change WU to "notify me, but let me choose".
  10. Run a manual check for updates.

The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.

So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".

WU must be turned off first, in order to be able to install those standalone patches.

>>> If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.<<<

Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.

Thanks,

MM

P.S. The tutorial suggested above was devised and implemented BEFORE MS changed their Win7 servicing model to monthly "rollups".  I do not have a means to test the theory that installing the standalone October 2016, November 2016 and/or December 2016 "Security+Quality" rollup will also fix the issue with WU client.

#3 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

MoxieMomma,
Thank you so much. I did get through that by following exactly your instructions. I did run into one problem though. At the end of your step #3 when I clicked on STOP it ran for a little bit and then I got a small window that said it could not be STOPPED in a timely fashion and WU on that whole page read STOPPING and not stopped even after I clicked on OK. So I rebooted to see if it finished with the reboot and it did. I complete the two updates and the manual update is running now.
I might add that I have GWX Control Panel installed. I have not removed it yet.
I also have a few hidden updates in Windows Update as I am not installing much till ASK WOODY says it is OK.
What do you think?
Thanks again
TomS

Edited by spetho2001, 01 January 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#4 spetho2001

spetho2001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:11 PM

It work OK and the UPDATES showed up and I am installing them.

Thanks again,

TomS

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hi:

MoxieMomma,
Thank you so much. I did get through that by following exactly your instructions. I did run into one problem though. At the end of your step #3 when I clicked on STOP it ran for a little bit and then I got a small window that said it could not be STOPPED in a timely fashion and WU on that whole page read STOPPING and not stopped even after I clicked on OK. So I rebooted to see if it finished with the reboot and it did. I complete the two updates and the manual update is running now.

Great!
I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.

I might add that I have GWX Control Panel installed. I have not removed it yet.

There's no need for GWX Control Panel any longer.
The free upgrade to Windows 10 ended months ago.
In fact, MS issued an optional update a while back that will remove the GWX software from a Win7 SP1 system: KB3184143

I also have a few hidden updates in Windows Update as I am not installing much till ASK WOODY says it is OK.
What do you think?

It's impossible to say, without knowing the specific updates.
Woody L is generally a good resource; but sometimes he does not update the status of individual patches.
Each user needs to decide what updates to install.
Most agree that -- at a minimum -- all critical and important security updates should be installed, including those for .NET Framework and for MS Office and other MS products.
Now that MS has changed their Windows 7 servicing model, there is less user control over specific updates.

Each month's patches are now delivered as a "Roll-Up", rather than individual patches.

However, it is possible to install only the Security Roll-up, rather than the Security+Quality Roll-up.

See here and here.

The decision to do so is up to each user.

As for "optional" updates, again, that is up to each user, depending on which patches may or may not apply to the user's particular system.

Thanks again
TomS

You are most welcome, I'm glad I could help.

Cheers,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users