Jump to content
Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:33 AM
Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:45 AM
Then I stop Microsoft Update service by using keys WINDOWS + R, typing services.msc, and disabling Windows Update Service.
That may be the problem.
For most (but not all) users, the correct step is to set Windows Update service to "manual", not to disable it.
I suggest following this exact sequence, exactly as listed.
It contains what may be a few extra steps for some users (such as disconnecting from the internet), but it has proved to be reliably successful for me and for many, many other users.
It should only take a few minutes and a couple of reboots.
Let's try this:
The concept is that you are going to install them from the standalone installers that you have downloaded locally to your computer, NOT via Windows Update.
So, if Windows Update is partially or fully enabled when you try this, you will probably get stuck "checking for updates".
WU must be turned off first, in order to be able to install those standalone patches.
>>> If that process does not work and/or you get error messages with a specific error code, then you probably have a different problem.<<<
Please post back and let us know how it goes, so that we can all learn.
P.S. The tutorial suggested above was devised and implemented BEFORE MS changed their Win7 servicing model to monthly "rollups". I do not have a means to test the theory that installing the standalone October 2016, November 2016 and/or December 2016 "Security+Quality" rollup will also fix the issue with WU client.
Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:56 PM
Edited by spetho2001, 01 January 2017 - 05:57 PM.
Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:11 PM
It work OK and the UPDATES showed up and I am installing them.
Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:49 PM
Thank you so much. I did get through that by following exactly your instructions. I did run into one problem though. At the end of your step #3 when I clicked on STOP it ran for a little bit and then I got a small window that said it could not be STOPPED in a timely fashion and WU on that whole page read STOPPING and not stopped even after I clicked on OK. So I rebooted to see if it finished with the reboot and it did. I complete the two updates and the manual update is running now.
I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.
I might add that I have GWX Control Panel installed. I have not removed it yet.
There's no need for GWX Control Panel any longer.
The free upgrade to Windows 10 ended months ago.
In fact, MS issued an optional update a while back that will remove the GWX software from a Win7 SP1 system: KB3184143
I also have a few hidden updates in Windows Update as I am not installing much till ASK WOODY says it is OK.
What do you think?
It's impossible to say, without knowing the specific updates.
Woody L is generally a good resource; but sometimes he does not update the status of individual patches.
Each user needs to decide what updates to install.
Most agree that -- at a minimum -- all critical and important security updates should be installed, including those for .NET Framework and for MS Office and other MS products.
Now that MS has changed their Windows 7 servicing model, there is less user control over specific updates.
Each month's patches are now delivered as a "Roll-Up", rather than individual patches.
However, it is possible to install only the Security Roll-up, rather than the Security+Quality Roll-up.
The decision to do so is up to each user.
As for "optional" updates, again, that is up to each user, depending on which patches may or may not apply to the user's particular system.
You are most welcome, I'm glad I could help.
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users