Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A very good point to ponder!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

"Kindness and compassion toward all living things is a mark of a civilized society. Conversely, cruelty, whether it is directed against human beings or against animals, is not the exclusive province of any one culture or community of people. Racism, economic deprival, dog fighting and rooster fighting, bull fighting and rodeo are cut from the same fabric: Violence. Only when we have become nonviolent towards all life will we have learned to live well ourselves".
-- Cesar Chavez, United Farm Workers of America

Now, my question, for 2017, what small or larger things can we do to change our respective community?  Personally, I have to think about this much more before even suggesting any solution idea.

Mod Edit

Edited a word at RolandJS request

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 11 January 2017 - 08:23 PM.
Mod Edit

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

Following some discussion by the Mods it was decided to move this topic to 'General chat',with the proviso that if discussion gets too heated it would be moved back to the SpeakEasy.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

lovely sentiment, but pie in the sky. It is the "christian turn the other cheek" dogma. Against muslim extremists this will leave thousands dead. Ok for believers in heaven. but for atheists like me, give me a gun to protect my family.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

Chris - would you allow me to change one ancient word to a better more modern word?  I did not see this thread until the time for edit had passed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,924 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

I wouldn't dream of stopping you.

Free speech is encouraged with the usual limitation about NOT shouting 'Fire !' in a theatre.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

I have real trouble understanding the rational of the other immigrant groups insisting that we allow them to carry/wear ceremonial/religious jewelry and clothing but they get all upset if you wish them a MERRY CHRISTMAS.  We have  to respect their culture but they won't respect ours.   Would Syria be willing to accept 100,000 Christians??    If the illegal immigrants complain about not being able to get a descent paying job and has to work in the fields,  get a green card, become a tax paying CITIZEN and VOTE.  While trying to protect our home and loved ones from the threats presented by those who have nothing and want some of yours,  we face more restrictions placed upon our rights AS citizens to do so. 

#7 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

georgehenry as a fellow freethinker I agree with protecting yourself and having the police protecting you as well (although today the police might escalate a situation), violence is just part of the human condition just like sex, compassion , jealousy, etc. Sure culture plays a rule to but most of our nature is built in and we have a certain amount of control over our behavior. We can stop ourselves from killing someone in cold blood or acting out on other impulses at least most of us can.

#8 Alola

Alola

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:23 PM

What small or larger things can we do to change our respective community?

Personally:

1. Try vegan lifestyle, start from researching, if you are comfortable with it, keep it up, if not, try another time.
  2. Try to be more aware of self daily rubbish/greenhouse gases production, and then reduce as much as possible.
  3. Want less, help more.
  4. Spread the above message or discuss the concept with family and friends

These are what I can propose now...but I believe these small things if accumulate can help the whole community immensely in a mostly positive way!

Just my two cents..

Roy

Edited by Alola, 13 January 2017 - 11:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users